Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Curve from projections

savi_garciasavi_garcia Member Posts: 8

Let's create two vectors (using bridge curves) V1 and V2. There aren't parallel or anti-parallel.

Let's then create two planes (via mid-plane, or line-angle) P1 and P2. Then, we draw two curves C1 and C2 upon these planes.

Is there a way to compute the final 3D curve Cf, such that these two curves C1 and C2 will be the projections of Cf upon P1 and P2?

For reference, we can do this on freecad using Curve Workbench→ Mix Curves. Thank you

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,642
    edited September 5

Can you create a document manually to show what you are trying to achieve. Initial gut feel is no, not in a single step without FeatureScript.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • savi_garciasavi_garcia Member Posts: 8

Ok, to clarify: If i create a document in onshape mimicking what I want to do, would that suffice?

As I dont know how to do what I want to do on OnShape, actually doing it is out of question

• GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 190
    edited September 6

It's a pretty abstract description but I've made something - perhaps you can tell us if it is correct or not…

The orange curve (Cf) is the 3d projection of C1 and C2 which are on P1 and P2 respectively.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ebc0f2bd740d39f521ad64f2/w/c7a3e902abc311796c4b0024/e/287740c3ba6adbf6e00179d8

YES that is where I am trying to go - In the first and second examination it looks perfect.

However I'd also like to know, if there's a tolerance/error in the result that is inherent to the calculation that onShape does.

• GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 190

The projection is very accurate, within the very tight tolerance of the modeling kernel. The curve resulting from the projection of 2 sketches is calculated by the intersection between extruded surfaces. This intersection curve will (likely) be a multispan deg3 curve. (For trivial cases of projecting 2 line segments, the projection will also be a line/deg1 curve). You can experiment by reprojecting the intersection back onto a plane and see no loss of original fidelity.

Thank you.

Now, and actual application:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8554fe39d930f846602f9194/w/ccaadf1311aaa66bad50dcba/e/d959ef0d904f87e3f25b9f08?renderMode=0&uiState=66dd5a32dcc2976b5f7ee031

Consider the planes: Plane_TEST_00 and Plane_TEST_01, and the curves CURVE_00 and CURVE_01.

I select projected curve; and then select "two curves" - and then choose the curves CURVE_00 and CURVE_01 as the two sketches. This fails the generation.

If i modify the curves to be more "rounded", i.e, make the turns softer, it will work out.

That leads me to the next question:What limitations should I take into mind for applying this procedure? Thank you.