Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Fill not working for spoon shape

VMVM Member Posts: 15 PRO

Hello,

This is probably a well known issue that could be resolved easily. I just request guidance on how to troubleshoot. I am creating a spoon shape using projected curves and splines. I'm at the stage where I created a fill using the projected curves and splines. The error message states that it cannot create a fill surface with selected boundary conditions. Continuity requirement might be too high. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/87cc7fbe47a7d182f402d4c3/w/8b01a5d5de4e287fa7244c0d/e/9c6c48f0d1940094919374c9?renderMode=0&uiState=66f34332165b115660655eab

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,799 PRO

If you can make this public, it will be easier to help.

I would recommend making the curves that you project from single Béziers, if at all possible. I would also mirror the projected curve so that you can create the fill surface all at once instead of making half and mirroring the surface. You'll get a better surface without defects at the mirror plane. It seems like you have more cross-sections than necessary. I would start with as few as possible and only add if you're not getting the desired results. I would also make these single span Béziers.

• VMVM Member Posts: 15 PRO

I have made the file public.

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,799 PRO

One problem is that you included your guide curves in the list of edges. That doesn't work. Also your curves are not internally G2 continuous and I think that can cause issues with fill trying to be exact.

Here's a test spoon shape with single span Béziers, and only one guide curve.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3224c8b1f1b1ee8896dbef60/w/900bd9decd5bcd0fdb580ed4/e/5547e3146965fa961284fb62

• VMVM Member Posts: 15 PRO

Hello S1mon, Thank you for the information. Your example was very helpful. I was able to complete the spoon with your help.