Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Ergonomic suggestion: How about using color in Feature Tree to indicate Feature type?

john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
Hello

I suggest that on the list of Features (on the left hand side of the screen), that Onshape should includes some sort of use of colour (e.g. little coloured squares beside each Feature). This would allow the user quickly identify the type of feature, without the user need to read anything.

e.g. If looking to edit a Sketch, rather than type in Sketch, the user could simply scan quickly for pink boxes...    

Note: 
I have very little opinion on which exact palette of colours to use , other than making it quite subtle as exact colour can have a large psychological effect on certain people. (The palette I have used above is probably too primary! )

In fact for the benefit of those people consider making the palette user-configurable... 

J

Comments

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ john_smith077, Good suggestion.

I want add one more point to that,
    As john_smith077  suggested for feature tree,it is better if part list also highlighted with some color which will be good if reflect with same color of part color in model space.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited January 2016
    I would probably +1 for any improvement on feature tree, there is quite long discussion on this matter with multiple good suggestions.
    None of them implemented in last six months or so, I'm starting to feel Onshape want's us to learn to use the search box first (which is unfamiliar for this purpose for many of us).

I've tried to build 'muscle memory' for naming convention and memorizing stuff that I can quickly (1 or 2 letters) enter into search and get what I wan't. From time to time I get weird feeling that maybe it is good as it is.
    But when we get more general settings, I would like to have possibility to show colors, icons, etc..
    //rami
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    I agree...colors would be great.

I would also like the ability to pick colors for tabs at the bottom of a document.  For example: 
    • Assembly tabs= RED
    • Part Studios= BLUE
    • Drawings= GREEN
    • Imported standard parts= YELLOW
    It would be nice if we could just choose a color from a list of color swatches so we can customize however we want.  

I get the feeling Onshape is going for a very clean, flat design and colors may not have originally been in the vision for the product. 

• Options
    @coleman yep, I asked this once and they told they wan't the model to jump from screen rather than flashing ui.
    //rami
  • Options
    @3dcad ok well maybe they can give us different shades of blue for the tabs :smile: 
    50 shades of blue....
  • Options
    Would it be possible and super easy with CSS for onshape to have user defined "look and feel" templates for us to choose from?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    3dcad said:
    @coleman yep, I asked this once and they told they wan't the model to jump from screen rather than flashing ui.

They do have  a bit of point. Personally overly strong /primary colours make me feel rather sick after a while.  For this reason the default colours should be as subtle as possible that still work. 

e.g. something like this?

Moreover this should not be undertaken lightly with an by "engineer" but by someone with a strong graphic design I background (not moi btw!)

These defaults would of course (like everything else) also need to be subjected to proper user trials.

J
  • Options
    Totally agree.  I'm not asking for neon and psychedelic colors....just something subtle.  
  • Options
    As it needs to be also trendy, how about using the first letter box like we see in many places today? Like S for sketch, E for Extrude
    Works also for color blind..

I like it with collaboration, I might like it also with feature tree (when there is multiple editor in your document, you will see first letter of their name in top bar)
    //rami
  • Options
    tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    Rather than colors, I'd prefer some type of instantly recognizable icon for each type of feature/sketch, etc.  
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Rather than colors, I'd prefer some type of instantly recognizable icon for each type of feature/sketch, etc.  
    Yes interesting idea...

We could in fact use the icons  for the likes of Extrude / Fillet / Sketch / Variable (etc) at the top of the screen.

The counter-arguments are:
    a) The icons would waste some horizontal space (albeit not much) 
    b) Would this not get a bit visually confusing though - particularly for new users, with the eye being drawn to the wrong menu of icons.

I suggest that they are 'knocked back' a bit (i.e. make them based on grey, rather than black). 
    i.e. Something like this:

That way the eye is (correctly) more drawn back up to the menu at the top of the screen.

And then when at item is being "Hidden", you could knock the graphic back further again, but still have it stay visually identifiable (just).
    i.e. Something like this: 

Job done?

I can see that Onshape have put quite a lot of thought into creating a visually appealing nicely designed interface and will probably resist any new use of colour.  Colour could of course go badly wrong, and although Onshape is presumably more of an 'engineering tool' than an industrial design/styling tool, choice of colour could clash with colours in the mode. 

Nonetheless, personally, just so long as I can control the palette I would still vote for colours (possibly with an easy way to toggle them on/off?), but the use of icons in the Features tree would certainly speed me up.

J

• Options
    tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

@john_smith007 +1 !!!

Absolutely, the icons should be the same ones used to invoke the command.  As for the objections, I use a lot more space right now identifying them with text in the name and I think it is very intuitive, rather than confusing. 

I'd also like to see the sketch used to create a feature displayed under the feature in the tree, for instance. 

• Options
    matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    I personally don't care whether they're black or grey, I just want feature icons.  A picture is worth a thousand words to me.  Here's a link to a thread from last year that has a very similar markup to @john_smith077 's. 

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1231/suggestion-with-screenshot-icons-in-features-list

There's some feedback from an OnShape employee about how this was something still under consideration at the time.  Also, there's a link to a thread from a year or so before that where it was communicated that icons weren't likely due to minimalist UI philosophy.  However, adding "sketch", "extrude", "revolve", "sweep", or whatever is less clean than just having an icon.  Maybe add in the ability for those who don't like the icons to hide them. 

So what's the state of this improvement today?

• Options
    It's funny how this discussion repeats the one @matthew_menard linked..

If we actually wan't this to be implemented, we decide now that it's the icons what we wan't - and next everybody uses ?-menu and send feedback with IR for feature list icons and include link to this discussion.. 

Very few things get implemented from forum discussion no matter how many 'vote ups' they get. 

And if we don't see icons in future updates, then we know it is only a margin who actually needs icons.
    //rami
  • Options
    Ah-ha!   What is it that they say about "great minds"  ?  :)

So come on Onshape staff - PLEASE COMMENT.

If you want to keep your users on-side you need to respond.
    We users are trying to help!  But if we are wasting our time on you, just let us know.