Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Hi everybody!! i'm new in onshape, im trying to subtract those cylinders in red, but can't.. help!

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,634
    Answer ✓

Also, is the blue part a Part or a Surface?

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Try changing the merge scope to only select the blue part - instead of merge with all. See if that will work.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,634
    Answer ✓

Also, is the blue part a Part or a Surface?

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • david_barker497david_barker497 Member Posts: 2

I am experiencing the same problems. The issues seem to be the following:

OnShape's Extrude "Remove" feature is unstable. Sometimes it does work, but it is not consistent. There are other methods to achieve the same ends, but they are also unstable.

1. You can the "Plane" feature. Select the side where you want to work then add a plane. Create the shape to remove, then extrude it from the plane surface.
    2. Again the Boolean can also be used. This is a much slower and more tedious process, where you can create the shape you want to remove on the surface of the part and then delete it.

Remember, there is no consistency in the behaviour for any of the control features mentioned - at the moment. As I have done rigorous experimentation on all these features, to see if they behaved consistently, and they do not. There are even times when all of these aforementioned functions will work at all.

The OnShape programmers will have to get to the point, when they realise that just as they can demonstrate "in red", that the object one can see going through a shape, is not removable, is exactly the same "method" (I am speaking in programming terms), which can be used for removing the same part from the item. In other words, there should "never" be a circumstance where one cannot remove a part from any shape or surface, if it can already be demonstrated "in red" that it can.

• Hi! thanks for the answers! it doesn't allow me to select anything when I unclick merge all… don't know why

and the blue part is the object.

• than you Neil, it was a surface, and i just discovered that you can subtract from a surface… sooo… back to the start! thanks tho!