Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can a plane be draped over a 3D object?

jon_smirljon_smirl Member Posts: 15 ✭✭✭✭
I'm designing a plastic font panel with various flat regions of slightly different heights and shapes.  I'd like to connect these areas with a smoothly curving 3D surface.  I'm basically looking for the effect you get from placing a cloth over various objects on a table. The cloth will conform with the tops of the objects and then drape in between them. Loft is sort of what I want, but this seems too complex for loft.

For example - create a rectangle. Place some cylinders and cubes on the rectangle. Now drape a plane over this with it closing against the four sides of the rectangle. Even better would be if I can push or tug on the drapes between the objects to make them look better.  Then suppress the objects and create a shell or thicken. Poke holes where the top of the objects were. That's the part I'm trying to make.

Best Answer

Answers