Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Parallel mating query

Gary_CreaneyGary_Creaney Member Posts: 10
I have attached an (extremely crude) image to better explain my query.
Imagine that the 2 parts are sheets of metal extruded down into the page. I am trying to maintain the parallel distance, achieved using a custom mate connector but mate the other two faces as indicated. Again, apologies for the crude image.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,402
    Use a planar mate with an offset
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Neil, thanks for the reply. I am fairly new to onshape and whilst I understand some of the basics of mating and I can see the options of the offset within the planar mate command, I'm not sure at all how to fully carry out what you have suggested. I'm sure it's not easy to explain either but can you or anyone offer a little more detail?
  • Options
    Hi Gary - here's how you do it. Don't forget that in some cases it may be better to create all the parts together in a Part Studio if they are fixed relative to one another. We only really use Assemblies for motion or for duplicating many parts like fasteners.

• Options
    Thanks again Neil, your advice regarding the creation of this in a part studio makes sense that I will take on board for this type of thing.
    I have followed your demo exactly as above and it is almost there. The only difficulty I have is that the planar movement in your demo i.e it slides in the direction of the offset does not seem to work for me, the blue item only wants to slide along the length of the yellow one rather than away from it. If I could get that worked out then I'm sorted here.
  • Options
    Is it possible you selected an edge instead of a face for the mate connector?
  • Options
    I double checked to be sure but my first step is exactly like the one in the demo. The planar movement allows only allows the 2 parts to move away from each other but not in the direction that yours does i.e the one I am hoping to achieve.
  • Options
    Though now that I look at yours Neil, it appears to be drawn on the front face whereas mine is drawn on the top. Does that make the difference?
  • Options
    Direction makes no difference - before the video I added a planar mate between the two part end faces so the parts couldn't move along the bend axis relative to each other, then the first planar mate in the video makes the two angled faces slide up and down each other, then the third planar mate (which has a 15mm offset) fixes the distance between the two flat faces.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    If you want the distance between the parts to be able to vary, then a SLIDER mate would be what's needed.

The trick with this methodology of using high-level mates is to always think about which degrees of freedom (DOF) you want to exist.
    In order (of mate connector based mates) of increasing DOF
    Fastened - 0 DOF
    Revolute - 1 rotational DOF
    Slider - 1 translational DOF
    PinSlot - 1 translational DOF
    Planer - 2 translational DOF
    Cylindrical - 1 translational and 1 rotational DOF
    BallSocket - 3 rotational DOF

The benefit of this system is that it will typically take fewer high level mates than the same mechanism created with low level mates.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Thanks again. I want exactly what Neil's demo has shown. The offset dimension I require is 55mm and when I use a planar mate as per the demo, it so happens to come out at 55.16mm so I am able to continue. It appears that the step carried out before the video is what I need to do to make this work. In future though this type of thing would be better done together as parts rather than an assembly as has been suggested. 

Have to say, loving the community and onshape in general. Excellent guys.