Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

View Rotation

pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
It could be just me, but the view rotation feels a little off from time to time.  I think it has to do with the rotation center, but I'm not sure.  Its off just enough to me where it causes me to over rotate and then fight to get the view manipulated just so.  I would say it happens more than not to me.  Its one of those things that is just a little annoying and in the back of my mind gives me that impression that something isn't just quite so - even if its not quite conscious.  Am I doing something wrong?  Do others notice this?

Comments

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Do you have any documents that this happens more frequently than others?  I don't have any issues rotating, but it could be muscle memory at this point.

We aim to pick up nearby geometry to rotate around when you are clicking on something to prevent issues of losing points of interest when you are zoomed in.  We put down the point of rotation as the first piece of geometry (including construction planes and sketch geometry) that is under the mouse at the current.  If we don't find any geometry but clicking in space, we try to rotate around the center of where the parts are.  Is it possible you have a plane or sketch region in the way of what you think you are rotating about and the result is rotating about something far off?

The only other thing I can think of is we have rotational inertia.  If you rotate and release while your mouse is moving, the part will continue rotating for a bit.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @JakeRamsley Let me put more time at it and see if I notice any more things.  It might be my muscle memory.  The rotating inertia might be what I am feeling.  Is there damping on that?  I notice in SolidWorks the rotation seems quicker to slow down.  Maybe that is what I am feeling.  Regards.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    We do have damping on the rotation.  You should be able to notice it if you try to rotate a model very quickly and let go.
    Jake Ramsley

@JakeRamsley Messing around some more... I think it is somewhat related to the damping.  Is that under damped, over damped, or critically damped (LOL).  I would imagine the damping might have some relation to latency?  In my case here at work today, it would be nice if damping was a little greater.  Is the default view rotation center (if I don't click on anything before rotating) the center of mass for the object?  My current guess would be no, but not sure yet.
    Rotation and damping should be independent of latency; the calculations are done on the client.

The rotation center is on a piece of geometry if it is under the mouse when it starts.  If there is no geometry under the mouse, then the rotation center is an approximation of the center of mass based on what is currently visible.  If there is nothing visible, then it is about the center of the bounding box of your model.  
    Jake Ramsley

Rotation and damping should be independent of latency; the calculations are done on the client.

The rotation center is on a piece of geometry if it is under the mouse when it starts.  If there is no geometry under the mouse, then the rotation center is an approximation of the center of mass based on what is currently visible.  If there is nothing visible, then it is about the center of the bounding box of your model.  

Makes sense about the latency not factoring in.  Also makes sense about view rotation.  Let me play with things a little more so I can give more accurate information.  I have limited time in the next couple of days.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Rotating seems fine to me.

Zooming in/out seems off because the screen size is based on a area including the feature tree. Therefore, when zooming at a cursor location, to me, the screen drifts to the left.

bill said:

Zooming in/out seems off because the screen size is based on a area including the feature tree. Therefore, when zooming at a cursor location, to me, the screen drifts to the left.

Zooming in shouldn't have any drift as it is based on the position of the mouse.  Whatever is under the mouse is what the camera zooms in towards.  

When we zoom out we base it on the center of the modeling area which can give the impression things are drifting.
    Jake Ramsley

bill said:

I notice when zooming in the control is nice because it follows where your mouse is, however when zooming out it doesn't seem to be centered around the mouse pointer.  This feels a little odd to me.  Can others confirm this is happening?  If so, does it seem a little off?
    It seems to me that the zoom speed on the scroll wheel is a little slow.  In SolidWorks I notice I can zoom alot faster with the scroll wheel and I prefer that.  Would it be possible to increase the gain on the scroll wheel?  I know there might be some plans in the works for settings for users - would it be possible to allow users to adjust that?  I'm sure it gets involved with different mice, and also touch controls.  Just thinking...
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @‌JackRamsley
    Thanks for the clarity, I didn't realize zoom in & zoom out were different. Zoom out is off. Zoom out seems to take the area under the feature tree and not just the design view port. SW used only the design view port not the tree. It's a small difference and I notice the difference between OS & SW, but I can get use to OS. When I zoom out I move the mouse to the left to compensate for the difference. I can't believe I'm commenting (bitch'n) about this.

Maybe you should put the zoom spot back on the screen. I kinda enjoyed it.

edited January 2015
    @JackRamsley @bill‌ Oops.  Sorry for completely missing the post by Jack on zoom out function prior to my post on it.  I think I would agree the zoom out is a little odd and does cause the drift to the left - but I do notice the zoom out center in SolidWorks also seems to function the same way.  Not sure what I think completely yet.  Will have to play more...
    I have tried 3 different browsers (Chrome 64 bit, Chrome Canary, and Firefox).  I find I like Firefox the best.  Chrome's scroll speed is slower and can't be adjusted in Windows (Linux only) - tried through the Chrome://flags area .  As such in chrome the scroll speed feels too slow to me for zooming.  Firefox is much quicker to zoom with the scroll wheel (higher gain).  I noticed a much smoother rotation experience in both Chrome and Firefox as compared to Chrome Canary.  I am pretty happy with Firefox at the moment and most of my graphics nit picks seem to have gone away (smoothness and scroll speed).

With today's update, we've changed the zoom out behavior to zoom out based on the mouse location, rather than the center of the modeling area.  This way if you zoom in/out without moving your mouse it will be symmetric.
    Jake Ramsley

With today's update, we've changed the zoom out behavior to zoom out based on the mouse location, rather than the center of the modeling area.  This way if you zoom in/out without moving your mouse it will be symmetric.

@JakeRasley I think that change feels right when I'm zooming in and out on the model.  Real nice.
    The zoom is perfect! Thanks

Just saw this. Explains why I like Firefox for the scroll speed...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/26/google-chrome-pointer-events-api/