Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Patterning Challenge! (A use-case for the Feature Pattern)

fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
So I had the awesome experience of heading over to the OS *World Headquarters* on Friday to do some UX testing, meet some of the crew, and get involved with "Demo Day". As if we all didn't know this already, what's happening at OS is some really special stuff! Anyways, can't thank @Scott and @AbeFeldmanenough for letting me stop by and get more involved! :)

One major take-home I have, after sitting and chatting with the UX team, was that for feedback, specific examples mean EVERYTHING. Even if it's just a simple picture. Also, use the feedback button in the help menu as much as possible, which allows you to markup your screen and send a screenshot.

So anyways... There's been some chit chat about Feature Pattern, and I want to offer a specific example:

I'm trying to create a boss with a counterbore hole, and then pattern it around 4 times evenly spaced. I want to retain the design intent for each boss/counterbore feature, as I may decide later to change it from 4 to 5 holes, and I want to do that with just a few button clicks. Not sure if the face pattern functionality needs to be expanded, or if I'm missing something, or perhaps this is a case for when a feature pattern is needed. I even tried Boolean operations, and I just can't get it.
Other CAD packages do this without batting an eyelash, and I would expect OS to do the same.

The public part is here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a40da330321b44f286a27361/w/9c8c6cd036bd4247a23c4775/e/975fdac780e245629b221a47

And this is what I want to do: 

Please check out the part and try it for yourself. Make your own branch, and let's see if we can't get it to work. If not, it certainly offers a functionality test for either expanding face patterns or creating the feature pattern as a new option.

Happy Modeling!

Jim

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited February 2015
    @FastwayJim  please added me in babart77@gmail.com. I think this is the only way I can branch. I can make a copy but it does not  give the same effect.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Ah yes, I forgot you can't edit public docs without making a private copy... You have been added, @Bruce!

So, anybody who wants to take a stab at it, send me your email (here or PM) and I'll share it with you...
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Is this what you wanted to do in one step? Selection takes a bit time but does work. image
  • Options
    elifelif Onshape Employees Posts: 50
    @Bruce did you use the "create selection" tool? You can pick pockets and holes with less pain using it.
    Team Lead, Part Studios
  • Options
    @elif I think that's only on the move face command. I can't see it on the pattern.

• Options
    It would be good if Mate Connectors could be patterned.image
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    edited February 2015
    Bruce said:
    @elif I think that's only on the move face command. I can't see it on the pattern.

Right click on the Canvas and choose "Create selection..."  This should be available anytime in the graphic area of a part studio.

In this case, with the faces you want to pattern so well isolated in space, I just started my face pattern then box selected around the boss.  It picked up all the faces I needed and once I set my pattern angle large enough to not overlap, it made the faces elsewhere.

i.e.
    box select faces

result

Sorry if these pictures are enormous

edit:

Playing around with the create selection tool, I'm not sure if it is the right approach in this case.  Because there is a fillet/tangent face connecting the base to the boss, most of the selections will pick up the base faces as well.  The only one I could get all of the faces with was a bounded face selection.  Certainly wasn't as fast as box selecting the faces.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Good work everybody! Thank you @Bruce, @elif, and @JakeRamsley! I guess I wasn't trying hard enough, haha!

I've updated the model, which is part of my submission for the next MOTW (Hub Assembly). It's hard to see, but all of the bearings and races are free to rotate.