Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Triad Manipulator reset to orthogonal

jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
Suppose I have used the triad manipulator to rotate a part by some arbitrary and unknown small angle, say 11.3721... degrees.

How can I return the part to its original orientation?

Comments

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    If you have constrained the part using revolute and it is rotated by manipulator you can right click on that constrain and chose "Reset". Part orientation can be returned to original position. But if the part is just placed in assembly and rotated, you can undo it, it will return its original position.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited February 2016
    Undo(ctrl z) is what I'd be doing if your not to far from the unwanted move, you could also use the version history list to get back to the point before the part was moved.

To control the triad you can grab the ball at it's origin and drag to snap to a face or edge or any other point a mate connector will snap to, you can then RMB and send to the origin if desired. You can also then select an axis and align or anti align to z, depending on the geometry you may be able to get back to where you were.

However if you want more control you may be better to use a fasten mate to the origin or an known fixed face. If the angle out, adjust by editing the mate connectors within the mate afterwards. 

Hope that helps.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    I know that when people post here, they are hoping for a magic solution that does exactly what they want . . . 

<magic_solution>

• Select a part or parts in an assembly.
    • A manipulator triad appears that now controls all selected parts.
    • Things you can now do;
    • Grab the origin of the manipulator and drag it to any mate connection point (also reorients triad)
    • RMB over the triad origin and select 'move to origin' (moves this point (and all selected parts) to the assembly origin)
    • RMB over any axis arrow-head and select 'Align with Z' or 'Anti-align with Z' - this will get your part(s) back to a standard orientation.

</magic_solution

:)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape