Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How are you planning to implement design tables?

matt_hardmanmatt_hardman Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
For example: I would like to create a standard for Metric Socket Head Cap Screws, so that I can insert a screw, and then configure the size that I want.

I've always thought it would be great to be able to configure a standard assembly too. Like for example: I'd like to be able to drop in an assembly that contains a Screw, two flat washers, and a nylock nut. Then configure that whole assy to be M8 size. Then later come back and say i'd like to swap the flat washers for split washers, simply as a drop-down option. Or beef it all up to M10 in one go.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    Great topic Matt. We have given a lot of thought to tabular/configurable designs and are planning for it in the future. The assembly configuration = awesome.

/Scott
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    MechaMecha Member Posts: 7
    Hmmm.. not an assembly, per say, but a tool that lets you put in nuts, washer, bolts on a given two surfaces and hole, would be a powerful time saver.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I much prefer a configurable assembly per @Matt_Hardman's suggestion to a dedicated tool along the lines of @Mecha's

If there's a generic tool which suits more than one purpose, it gives us a lot more flexibility to adapt it to uses outside the narrow but deep-running mainstream.

And third party developers can add value to the generic tool to deliver the convenience sought by the user who does not require the flexibility. A further benefit of this is that there is likely to be more consistency between different third-party offerings.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited May 2015
    Great ideas, saving time is saving money.

Geomagic design has assembly configurations and I'm a great fan! (I thought this is a standard feature for industrial cad?)

In addition for above, I would like to name a (say) hole in part design and set a rule that if the name of the hole (or hole set) is 'Hinge_holes' automatically assemble predefined part or subassembly 'Hinge' in to those holes.

I hope I got my point into that sentence. I have a LOT of repeating work with standard parts and I would love to make it only once and save as automated assemble rule and next designs would have automatic insertion and mating for standard parts. 
    //rami
This discussion has been closed.