Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

New user, multiple parts need to be one

robert_daltonrobert_dalton Member Posts: 1
edited May 2016 in Community Support
So I'm new to using on shape, i have in the past use other software but I'm just stumped, i have a part i have made, which was intended to be one part, but now i have 5 parts that need to be conjoined as one. some guidance would be helpful, do i need to add another app to do this?

Answers

• Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @robert_dalton  Inside of your features (extrude for example) there are options that will allow you to either create a new part or add to existing.  I am assuming you either selected new each time OR your parts dont actually touch....in which case you have multiple parts by default.  

There are some awesome training videos that will explain this functionality.  Checkout videos on multipart design.  
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    adding a link to a public document helps to make a request quick and simple.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @robert_dalton ,You can use same feature for multiple part for joining as one by clicking add.
    Add
    - Create material and add to the existing material

When adding material, you have the option to merge that material with other parts that touch or intersect its geometry:

• If the geometry touches or intersects with only one part then that part is automatically added to the merge scope.
    • If multiple parts touch or intersect the geometry, then there is ambiguity and you must select which parts to merge with (the merge scope).
    • A shortcut to selecting multiple touching or intersecting parts, you can check Merge with all to add all touching or intersecting parts to the merge scope.

Note that if the Boolean is set to Add, Remove, or Intersect and nothing is set in the merge scope, the feature will error. For New, no merge scope is available since New does not boolean the result.

Kindly refer below link video for more detail.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/index.htm#extrude_video.htm?TocPath=Onshape%20Videos|_____5

• Options
    randal_gardnerrandal_gardner Member Posts: 4 PRO
    I'm having the same issue. I mirrored a part and then transformed it to move it and now I don't know how to rejoin the two parts, or how to join those two parts to the main part to create the shape I want as one part. 
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @randal_gardner In this case you can use union in Boolean feature to combine the two parts into one. But make sure that your parts are properly joined each other. See the below GIF animation showing Boolean

• Options
    randal_gardnerrandal_gardner Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Excellent! It worked like a champ. I didn't know what the boolean function was for.