Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

IMPORTING DXF OF AIRFOIL SHAPE

dan_cumminsdan_cummins Member Posts: 4
I am trying to import the top half of an airfoil profile into a Parts Studio sketch.  I save the top of the airfoil as a polyline and/or a spline in another CAD program as a DXF or DWG.

When I go to import the DXF into ONSHAPE, and import it into a sketch, it imports as a series of line segments not a single entity......ie I cannot just make the one end coincident with a point or another vertex....if I do that, only the point I selected becomes coincident, and the rest of the points stay exactly where they landed when I imported the dxf.  So what I am really asking, is how do I treat the imported DXF as an single entity (like a poly line) that can be constrained?

I could trace a spline over the imported points, and delete the original import, but that seems its more complicated than it needs to be.

This seems like it should be simple, but I am stuck.

Your thoughts?

DC

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi @dan_cummins - Onshape does not have a polyline sketch entity so will always treat an imported polyline as lines with no constraints. Did you try creating your profile as a spline and then exporting as a spline to DXF?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI