Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Helix Length

ryan_thiessenryan_thiessen Member Posts: 7
I was just wondering if there was a way to dimension or determine the length of a drawn helix in OnShape without having to use calculations?

I am specifically referring to this drawing:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/56f19d3ce4b0673b5de81c73/w/45878ef17fa8d1624fd77cd6/e/c9f470239328414f8db0e6bb

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    neobobkrauseneobobkrause Member Posts: 105 EDU
    Hmm... 

What if you drew a 1mm long line in a sketch next to one of your helix's endpoints. Then you could use that line to create a surface sweep as the thing to sweep and the helix as the sweep path. Then you could use the MeasureValue FeatureScript to measure the area of the resulting surface. The area will be expressed as a mm*2, but the unit value just happens to be the length of the helix.

Sure, it's a hack, but one that gives you the length of your helix.

- Bob
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited October 2019
    @neobobkrause

Measure Value should allow the user to just measure the length of the helix directly.

I was wrong about this.  See post below.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    neobobkrauseneobobkrause Member Posts: 105 EDU
    @neobobkrause

Measure Value should allow the user to just measure the length of the helix directly.
    It absolutely should. But as of 10 days ago it didn’t.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    My last post appears to be incorrect.  @konstantin_shiriazdanov, maybe measure value can be enhanced for a "length" option that acts on edges?

For reference @ryan_thiessen, this custom feature measures various values of objects and stores then in a variable for future use:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/77baa8153589a7fc5f289829/w/cffd0f2a7077380d5378a885/e/d3174bf5315e6aafcb889367

To add a custom feature to your toolbar, just navigate to the document and hit that "+" button in the toolbar of that document.
  • Options
    ryan_thiessenryan_thiessen Member Posts: 7
    My last post appears to be incorrect.  @konstantin_shiriazdanov, maybe measure value can be enhanced for a "length" option that acts on edges?

For reference @ryan_thiessen, this custom feature measures various values of objects and stores then in a variable for future use:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/77baa8153589a7fc5f289829/w/cffd0f2a7077380d5378a885/e/d3174bf5315e6aafcb889367

To add a custom feature to your toolbar, just navigate to the document and hit that "+" button in the toolbar of that document.
    Hey there, thanks for the replies!

It's been 3.5 years and I've moved on from this project and Onshape, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  I think Neil's answer up top gave me the answer I needed, although I don't know why I never tagged it as answered.

Take care guys!
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @neobobkrause

you are right - just it is named "perimeter" option, it consumes edges and faces
  • Options
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov Thanks for the reply, in reading the perimeter option, it seemed like it only took faces, but I should have read more closely.

Sorry to bother @ryan_thiessen ! When I saw the new reply I thought the whole thing was a new post!