Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to FeatureScript - April 13th, 2016

ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
edited May 2016 in FeatureScript
With the most recent update, we are continuing to improve the experience of using FeatureScript:

1. You no longer need to select which Feature Studios you use in which Part Studios.  All available features from Feature Studios within your workspace automatically appear in the Part Studio FeatureScript menu.

2. FeatureScript is designed to work with the just-released linked documents, so you can define features in one document and use them in any Part Studio.  To do so, click on the new "Add feature types to toolbar..." button in the FeatureScript menu.  I have created a version in the "FS Examples" document so you can use the features there in any document that has the FeatureScript EVP.

3. We have made many improvements to std and language documentation and are continuing to make more.

4. Your features can now report custom error messages when they fail to regenerate.  Just write:
throw regenError("Not enough doodads to create widget. Please select more doodads.");
5. Custom features now have automatically generated icons.  We plan to have customizable icons in the future.

Please continue providing great feedback -- you are a great help in improving FeatureScript!
Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc

Comments

• Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    Love it!

It took me a minute to find 'show code' in the part studio right click menu.
  • Options
    @traveler_hauptman Ah, yes, I forgot about that change -- thanks for mentioning it!
  • Options
    adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
    It took me a minute to find 'show code' in the part studio right click menu.

Where are you seeing that?
  • Options
    @adamohern Right click on the Part Studio tab.
  • Options
    Oh. Lordy. You just made my day. My week even. This is unbelievable. Thanks!
  • Options
    @adamohern Thanks!  I believe the new using-feature-studios workflow is very similar to what you suggested the first time we discussed FS.
  • Options
    It's a bit more complex than I had in mind, but at least that comes with great power. I hope that over time the code will get simpler and easier to use. I am especially interested in a hybrid approach, where we could create features that feed into one another in powerful ways, similar to how Grasshopper nodes can be shuffled to create generative design ideas. I hope that over time we develop FS features that provide a middle-ground between traditionally explicit modeling and full-on programmatic FeatureScript.
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice improvement
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    @ilya_baran - It looks like when I add a custom feature to the toolbar, and then use it, it is frozen at the version which is shared, right? If I update the FS code, I need to reversion and then un-add/re-add it to the toolbar, even if it is all in the same doc?
  • Options
    If you add it to the toolbar, yes, you need to reversion.  But for working on features in the same document (in the same workspace, really), you don't need to add them to the toolbar -- the latest is always available from the FeatureScript menu in every Part Studio.
  • Options
    dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Welcome changes!