Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

User created videos

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in General
I like the way the onshape tutorial videos are set up. I would like to make a set of videos for Make magazine on how to model a specific project. Is there any way for users to put together tutorials with the same look and feel?

Comments

• Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @OpenR2  You wont be able to embed the video in a page in the Document like we have done.  However, you can insert a video into a Document (which others can play) and sample models and share it.  You can even put the video first so its the first thing others see.
  • Options
    It would be really cool if you could. Enhancement request?
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    It's best to post video on youtube and embed link into a forum post. This forum doesn't host videos for very good reasons like cpu I/O bandwidth issues. Posting a video, easy, upload to youtube and embed a link here in this forum.

Videos can kill a website/forum. It's not internet bandwidth, but cpu bandwidth serving up the video. That's what youtube is all about.

A plus is google analytics allowing you to see where people are coming from: Russia & New York City are the largest consumers of CAD content. California is really low and I don't know why.

The problem with this forum is that it only gives you a day to edit post. It use to be an hour which was really frustrating.

It'd be nice if the author could have infinite edit rights to a post and maintain a thread of videos about a topic.

I suppose you can beg Lou, possibly bribe him with a new mountain bike and he'll make you a master editor.

• Options
    Wasnt thinking about videos in respect to the forums...I was thinking about them in respect to collaboration in the documents.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I went and looked at a tutorial video and they are nicely done. Cody does a great job with videos. I guess I should take the time and learn OS and watch the new videos.

I'm trying to upload a video to a document:

I made a mistake and uploaded a gig byte video, OS took it and displayed it. 

If you become a solution provider, you can build a webpage and display it in a tab. This would mimic what OS is doing in their tutorials. You could navigate between tutorials and step through various documents. It could be a really nice user experience.

Seems like you'd get more traffic if you posted in the forum.

• Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @OpenR2 This has been brought up before and if I remember correctly there were security concerns with letting all users do this.