Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best way to create an ICM/Datum part studio that can be inserted into other part studios/documents

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
Any tiips on the best way to create an ICM/Datum part studio that can be inserted into other part studios/documents and constrained to?
I have geometry of parts that drive other parts but I want them to be versioned separably.
I want to share that document as well.
What I am not sure can currently be done is having constraints across part studios or assemblies of documents?

Comments

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    There are no assembly references, so you can't do it with assemblies. If you want to gang parts with referencing, it's gotta be done in a part tab. To share ICM/Datum part tab, you can share the document which will spread across your documents and other's documents.

So:
    1. Create a document called "layout ICM/Datum" and put one part tab in it defining your datums.
    2. Then create another document for engineer#1, create one part tab for his design task. Import the shared ICM/Datum part into this one tab using derived part.
    3. Then create another document for engineer#2, create one part tab for his design task. Import the shared ICM/Datum part into this one tab using derived part.
    4. Go back to original "layout ICM/Datum", create 2nd tab called "top layout". Add shared documents from engineer#1 & engineer#2 into top layout using derived part.

There are no assemblies in this structure. Allows top level layout capabilities with subordinate engineer support. Can be cross company capable.

Warnings:
    -I have no idea if this would work.
    -I'd like this to work.
    -Does this scale? What if I had 40 engineers and 7 companies? What would this look like then?
    -"layout ICM/Datum" should be one of the 1st features in an engineer's part as it should be. Orientations should match as with any well built assy coordinate project.

Good luck, let me know if you solve this,

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    On 2nd thought, I'd probably seperate "layout ICM/Datum" & "top layout" into separate documents allow independent version control for each.