Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What plugins are required to run Onshape?

AdamAdam Member Posts: 2
First time trying Onshape and the workspace won't load - a screen reading "This plugin is disabled" appears.

Any idea what plugin I'm missing or in general what plugins are required to run?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    john_f_carrjohn_f_carr Onshape Employees Posts: 74
    Onshape does not use "plugins" (like flash) but does depend on webgl, which is built into most browsers.  If your settings do not allow webgl, modeling won't work.

Check this site to see if webgl is enabled: https://get.webgl.org/
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Adam We also do not support IE but if you use the ? menu Feedback you can send in the information required for us to troubleshoot. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @Adam for what its worth I have preferred the Firefox browser for Onshape. I've tried a bunch and Firefox is the best experience in Windows devices, mostly due to better zoom using the scroll wheel. I hope the Spartan browser in Windows 10 is the real deal and that Onshape will support it. There will still be a lot if folks in the business realm running that setup out of the box - and not always our choice.
  • Options
    AdamAdam Member Posts: 2
    When I first noted the issue I was able to work around it by running the CAD through Chrome rather than Firefox.

Strangely enough, I just tried again through Firefox and the issue appears to have resolved itself.

I appreciate all the feedback - thanks!
  • Options
    mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I'm running chrome on Mac works wonderful, haven't tried any other browsers yet.
    John McConnell - Let's change things.
    Saplingstore.com
  • Options
    rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    @Adam for what its worth I have preferred the Firefox browser for Onshape. I've tried a bunch and Firefox is the best experience in Windows devices, mostly due to better zoom using the scroll wheel. I hope the Spartan browser in Windows 10 is the real deal and that Onshape will support it. There will still be a lot if folks in the business realm running that setup out of the box - and not always our choice.
    It appears that the Spartan browser supports WebGL, so users should be able to use Onshape on it.
    We'll have to wait and see how Spartan performs.  :)
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @rbaek That's potentially good news.  I was particularly interested in the demo of inking in the browser with Spartan.  That has all kinds of neat implications.
  • Options
    EdwardEdward Member Posts: 2
    I am also receiving the "This plugin is disabled" message in Palemoon (a Firefox variant). The https://get.webgl.org/ test seems to work normally,, displaying the expected "Your browser supports WebGL" message and spinning cube. About:Config has webgl.disabled set to 'false' by default (see image for full settings).

With webgl.prefer-native-gl enabled, the "This plugin is disabled" message is replaced with a "It looks like your browser doesn't have WebGL enabled" banner. webgl.force-enabled and webgl.min_capability_force have no effect.

• Options
    Can you check whether you're running the latest version of Pale Moon?  A web search found a lot of complaints about webgl support last summer.  If you are up to date, could you send feedback (? menu) including exact browser version and OS?  One of our graphics developers tried Pale Moon and it worked for him.
  • Options
    EdwardEdward Member Posts: 2
    I have updated to the most recent version of Pale Moon (25.3.1), and the issue is the same. I cannot send feedback via the '?' menu, as the menu is obscured (opens behind) the "A plugin is needed to display this content" message.
  • Options
    Edward said:
    I have updated to the most recent version of Pale Moon (25.3.1), and the issue is the same. I cannot send feedback via the '?' menu, as the menu is obscured (opens behind) the "A plugin is needed to display this content" message.
    Does Onshape work with regular Firefox on your system?  Or Chrome?
  • Options
    nat_collinsnat_collins Member Posts: 1
    On Firefox 37.0.1 on Mac OS 10.9.5 (Mavericks) I'm trying to run Onshape for the first time. I get a "A plugin is needed to display this content." (see attached image) message with no additional info. The get.webgl.org test site shows the spinning cube, so OpenGL is not the problem. (webgl.disabled is indeed false.) Has anyone figured this out yet? I'm using Chrome & Safari in the meantime.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    On Firefox 37.0.1 on Mac OS 10.9.5 (Mavericks) I'm trying to run Onshape for the first time. I get a "A plugin is needed to display this content." (see attached image) message with no additional info. The get.webgl.org test site shows the spinning cube, so OpenGL is not the problem. (webgl.disabled is indeed false.) Has anyone figured this out yet? I'm using Chrome & Safari in the meantime.
    Hi nat_collins,

Are you creating a new document or opening one of the samples/tutorials?  If it is a sample or tutorial, we have embedded media in them (ex. PDFs, videos, images, etc.) that may require software or a plugin on your system in order to understand.  These are orthogonal to WebGL.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com