Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can I/How Do I Extrude A Notch From The Circumference Of A Solid Object?

jody_robinsonjody_robinson Member Posts: 9

Hello all,

I am a newbie to OS, and to CAD drawing, but have been having pretty good luck so far in learning how to use it to draw out designs for an idea I am working on. A lot of trial and error, but it has definitely been a great learning experience.

I have a solid ellipse shaped object (extrude from top plane sketch, see below) that I would like to remove a 6mm x 2mm notch (see above diagram) around the entire circumference of the object (the bottom "lip").

Would this be an Extrude/Remove step? If so, how do I specify the notch placement/depth?

Or, would it be possible/better to use Revolve to re-create this ellipse object with the notch included as part of the sketch?

Any thoughts/steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jody

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited May 2016
    You could use sweep using the elliptical shape as the path, or you could use extrude in 2 directions (the second direction can be flipped to provide an offset from the bottom face), or you could create a plane offset from top and sketch extrude from that. Since you're in learning mode I've left that suitably cryptic so you can discover the solution!

Have a go, come back it you're stuck. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jody_robinsonjody_robinson Member Posts: 9
    Cool, thank you.

It will be interesting to see what I can come up with from that. Hopefully I can dive into it over the weekend.

Unfortunately I was not able to figure out the solutions you provided, but I was able to come up with something based on your idea of using planes:

- Suppressed the extrude for the main body (the outer "lip" was its own extrude)
    - Created 2 planes bordering the edges of the notch I wanted to create, created splits at both points, then deleted the notch piece (luckily the width of that face is what I need)

Probably more steps than really needed, but at this point I will take it.
    NeilCooke said:
    Interesting. I did not realize you could draw a new sketch off of a newly added plane. That is what was throwing me off.

Thanks.