Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

STL export has issues...

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Community Support
I am not having any luck exporting what I thought was a really basic primatic model. It looks like the STL is somehow maybe pulling one of the underlying surfaces with it...and that makes it look like it is missing features? But when you look close you see the feature are there .... it just looks like it has a skin over them. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Do you have surfaces in the model? Try using the delete part feature to remove any surfaces from the part first. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I have surfaces but they are hidden .... hidden surfaces will show up in the STL? The surfaces were used to create the features. I don't really want to delete them .... and wont deleting them break the derived features?
    I just tried delete part on the surfaces ... and it deletes the surface and all its derived features .... basically my whole model. Is the STL export of hidden surfaces a bug? 
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @OpenR2 if you were to RMB the specific part from the parts list and then export you should be able to export the solid without any surfaces.
    Well...That works for a single part. But I need a single STL of the whole studio to use for the GFX for a single link for  the robot description for the URDF file for use in the robot simulator.
    Its pretty standard that construction geometry not be translated....whether that be a pick that says not to include hidden geometry or weather only bodies (parts) are translated.
    Create a special STL export assembly work around worked. That keeps me moving forward.
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    You could also use the Delete Part feature to delete your surfaces at the end of your feature tree to avoid having to derive the parts into another studio.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#deleteparts.htm
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support