Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Industrial Design features

joshbjoshb Member Posts: 6
Skimming the forum, it seems Onshape's take on surfacing is that it's a nice-to-have not a must-have. Most of the big CAD companies seem to view surfacing tools as industrial design tools, but that's outdated thinking much the same way that the lines between engineering and design are continually being blurred. I know many engineers who use surfacing--high quality surfacing no less--to solve engineering modeling challenges. And the idea that designers and engineers use fundamentally different tools is becoming increasingly preposterous, considering that every designer I know, myself included, uses Solidworks as a part of their pipeline. 

I'd love to see Onshape bring out a competitive surfacing toolset. I'd love even more to see them push the envelope and improve upon the "design"-based tools that are already out there. Please.

Add to that list: curvature continuous fillets, asymmetrical fillets, adjustable degree splines, etc. I've been using the beta for about half a day and I'm already blown away.

Comments

• Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited March 2015
    Surfacing and advanced styling functionality would be great.

Maybe just start with the basics: powerful splines and powerful network (or boundary if you will) surfaces, together with trimming, splitting, knitting. (Is that still 'basics'?)

I could do A LOT with network surfaces! :)

Dries
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @joshb We understand it's importance for sure.  When building something from scratch we a lot on the todo... as we still do.  Most of the list are already logged into our system and we are added them as we iterate.  Hang tight.  Have some great stuff coming soon.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    joshbjoshb Member Posts: 6
    Great news. I can't wait!
  • Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    LouGallo said:
    Hang tight.  Have some great stuff coming soon.
    Awesome! Solid features? Surface features?

Dries