Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Locking down complex imported assemblies

bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
edited July 2016 in Community Support
I signed up a year ago today (according to a pop-up I got just now) but this is my first day of being fully cut loose from solidworks; I'm on holiday in France, my PC is in Australia and I'm importing complex assemblies hoping to do modifications in Onshape.
I've found that keeping the assembly together is easy; just use the group command, but then tying the group to the origin is a nightmare.
All I want to do is make the machine base horizontal with the origin a fixed distance below the centre of the face of a disc which has a horizontal axis. Takes a minute in SW, but there's no easy way in Onshape. For a start there are no planes in the assembly tab, or any parallel constraint that I can find.
Any suggestions?

Best Answer

Answers

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @bill_rayner I think that I would use a fasten mate as per vid below. HTH
    2.gif 1.8M
  • bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
    Thanks Bruce, brilliant!
  • bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
    On reflection, not so brilliant in complex assemblies. Much time and head scratching is currently required.