Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Radial mate connectors

jon_smirljon_smirl Member Posts: 15 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Community Support
I can't figure out how to make a pie and then have the pieces of the pie expand out radially on mate connectors. My goal is to allow an exploded view of the object. Can this be done?  I need a mate connector down the centerline of the piece but there is none.  Can this work on a round shell (ie no tip of the pie piece to work with)?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited May 2016
    add your mate connectors to the sketch in the part studio, you may need a construction line for this, then link the new mate connector to the part you want it to go with. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited May 2016
    EDIT: As malay pointed out, you can place mate connectors at the origin in assemblies. No need to create the hack part I mention below...

Working with non-part entities in Assemblies is not implemented yet. (You want to move your parts relative to some center point.)

You can hack around this by creating a small part to be at the center.

Once you have that, for each direction you want to explode you can attach a mate connector to the "center" and a mate connector to the exploding part, aligned in the direction you want. This will work even with no pie 'tip'.

So if you have 5 pie pieces, you will have 5 mate connectors attached to the "center" part, each rotated to face the direction you want, and 1 mate connector each for the pie pieces.
  • Options
    jon_smirljon_smirl Member Posts: 15 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I was able to get this working by creating mate connectors in part studio along the axis I needed.  I was trying to do it in the assembly and it is is not possible to do there without having previously creating the mates in the part studio.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    On your slider mate you could set limits.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    Mate connector can be defined using the assembly origin. That should work in this case.