Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

possible to create a Youtube video of an animation of an assembly and of a moving section view?

tom_jellytom_jelly Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I'd like to make a short youtube video of an assembly in action or rotation of a part showing all sides then sectioning through it as shown in some of the tutorials, is this possible or would I need to use a screen capture app ?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Camtasia should do it, you can even download a free 30day trail. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I would be interested in a native Onshape animation recorder. My experience with Camtasia and similar tools leaves a lot to desire. The image quality is subpar and, more importantly, the tool captures all the undesired hiccups in the animation, including those that I imagine are due to a slow connection speed or some type of numerical solver issue. A truly professional animation has a crisp image and smooth motion—things that I have yet to get from third-party tools. Some basic controls for playback speed and camera motion would also be a boon, but these are all moot without professional-grade animation quality. Thanks for considering this feature!
  • Options
    andre_greenandre_green Member Posts: 5
    Camtasia is the best for making video tutorials. It provides free motion graphics and animation movement. It shall meet your requirements. 
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO

You can download and install the entry-level version of 'Active Presenter' (https://atomisystems.com/activepresenter/ ) free to record screen captures.  This has basic editing tools (cut, splice, dub audio, etc.).  I encourage you to play with this to see if it meets your needs.

I imported a short sample (animating one degree of freedom on a McMaster Carr toggle clamp assembly) into a public document:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f134143046758b651532c29f/w/4a2bc917f28af546f678065b/e/70a47ece148fba924801b9e2 .  You should be able to play that in Onshape or download it.

I find it interesting that video file formats (mp4, etc.) cannot be attached to Onshape forum posts.  Otherwise I would have just attached the video for you.  Go figure.

Regards,

-Matt