Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mechanical hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, etc)

chris_aicherchris_aicher OS Professional, User Group Leader Posts: 23 PRO
I've been scratching my head on how to best manage the use of hardware in my OS assemblies.
I hope this is only temporary, but because there are no configs, there must be a solid for every size.
I know I could model the parts, but i'd rather just get my misc. hardware from McMaster, etc.
Has anybody devised a clever way not to have a bunch of tabs for separate pieces?

-Chris

Chris Aicher
aicher@battleaxe.com
Tigard, OR
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I've started doing a document because I needed bolts and nuts. I have not completed because of the config thing not sure which way Onshape will go. I was just building parts on top of parts a size series in studio and copying tab into doc as required. Each part has an attached Mate C. See Public doc's fasteners. I can share you in if you want, 

The good thing about configurations for bolts is you can change size very easily in the assemebly, with this system you you have to re-mate.

Bruce
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    sergio_p_sergio_p_ Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I'm starting to model some gage fixtures, and seeing the same problems. What I would do is take all the hardware that I really use (bolts, nuts, washers) on SW or SE, and make and assembly file, then export to step/parasolid. After that in every new Document, I will loaded it and translate to OS format, leaving it as a OS part studio with different bodies.

I will do several of this assembly files (standard hardwares, stuff for gages...) in order to have at hand. I know that maybe will be not the best solution, but at least will work. 

Regards
    Sergio PLUCHINSKY
    CAD, FEA and Engineering Consultor
    +54 9 11 2250 0564