Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Driven dimensions in sketches

devon_sowelldevon_sowell Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
Hello-

The ability to display Driven dimensions in Sketches would be helpful :) Or maybe I can't find them? :*

Thanks, Devon Sowell
Devon Sowell
Engineering Consulting Partner
Professor, Engineering Technology, Palomar College, San Marcos, CA
sowelldevon@gmail.com
760 809 9046
CarlsbadCAD Carlsbad,CA

Comments

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Driven dimensions aren't currently in but should be in soon.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited March 2015
    Cool!
    Are driven dimensions a hint at equations too? ;)
    I ask, because that's what I use them most for...

Dries
  • mevalemevale Member Posts: 22
    OS should add driven dimension to SOLIDS not to sketches.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Cool!
    Are driven dimensions a hint at equations too? ;)
    I ask, because that's what I use them most for...

Dries
    For the majority of our features we work on them individually and ship them to customers when we feel they are ready.  Naturally there are certain features that are exceptions to this, but equations aren't one of them.  Driven dimensions and equations are two separate features and as a result there is no guarantee they will go in together.
    Manuel said:
    OS should add driven dimension to SOLIDS not to sketches.
    Can you elaborate on this thought?  What would you use them for?  Do you want driven dimensions for parts in part studios, assemblies, or both?  The more information about what you want/need, the more informed we can work on creating a viable, useful solution.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    JakeRamsley said:
    For the majority of our features we work on them individually and ship them to customers when we feel they are ready.  Naturally there are certain features that are exceptions to this, but equations aren't one of them.  Driven dimensions and equations are two separate features and as a result there is no guarantee they will go in together.
    Fair enough. :)
    I imagine equations take a lot of thought in how you want to present them.

Dries
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited March 2015
    Driven dimensions are important to me and while Onshape's list of use-cases probably covers everything, I'll put mine here just in case.

1) Display a measurement on a sketch to help during interactive iteration of the design.
    1a) Sometimes I'm uncertain what dimension should be driving and what should be driven. This involve toggling driving/driven the two (or more) dimensions I'm considering.

2) Display a breadcrumb for the next engineer as to what is important in this sketch (combined with turning off visibility (hiding) of non-important or 'constant' dimensions in the same sketch).

3) Create an input to an equation

4) Create an input to a complex parametric annotation, usually in a drawing. The driven dimension gets hidden and the target annotation gets the value embedded into it. (This is an extension of 2).

Attaching driven dimensions to the geometry (in essence, creating a geometry measurement you can reference) in addition to sketch elements, is relevant in all these cases. The usefulness of a measurement on the geometry as input to equations is obvious I hope.

The usefulness of a geometry measurement as input to annotations on the model is clear if you remember that half the purpose of a solid model is to capture and communicate the design to other engineers and communication is all about extracting the salient information and presenting it in a form your audience can understand.
  • mevalemevale Member Posts: 22
    Can you elaborate on this thought?  What would you use them for?  Do you want driven dimensions for parts in part studios, assemblies, or both?  The more information about what you want/need, the more informed we can work on creating a viable, useful solution.

What I understand by "Dimension Driven" is very diferent to what in parametric is.

The faster way to edit a feature is directly in the solid. take a look to DD in Keycreator. 

"Well defined" Sketches to do solids to do layouts??
    C´mon, the first stage in any project is CREATIVITY and constraining (its name speak for it self)  in the begining is against the creativity.

So the request is:
    Go for the real and profesional solid editing and not stay in the old sketched way.

• devon_sowelldevon_sowell Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    RE:"Do you want driven dimensions for parts in part studios, assemblies, or both?"

Part Studios for now. I can't think of situation where Driven dimensions are needed in Assemblies. When Onshape Drawings are created, we'll need Driven dimensions in those also please.

Thanks, Devon Sowell
    Devon Sowell
    Engineering Consulting Partner
    Professor, Engineering Technology, Palomar College, San Marcos, CA
    sowelldevon@gmail.com
    760 809 9046
    CarlsbadCAD Carlsbad,CA
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited March 2015
    Each given dimension (or other value) should input as an variable which could be used as value for another dimension. This way it would be very easy to make driven dimensions. Dimension view settings should have possibility to show either actual value or equation or both.
    //rami