Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I measure distances between different parts ?

I'm frustrated because I need to check up the distances between parts using the dimension tool, or even between different entities on the same part ( that I solved badly by creating a drawing and inserting a part and used the different dimension tools, but I had to go back and forth between part studio tab[to change] and drawing tab[to check], but then I realised that the drawing didn't change and I had to create a new drawing and insert the same part I wanted to check after the changes....), I found another way to make distance relations between different parts but only while sketching and only on the same plane, and the extruded parts doesn't have sketches in the plane I want to do my check on. I think I will have the same problem in the assembly tab.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    shaddy_eldesoukyshaddy_eldesouky Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the response, https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/18865/#Comment_18865 this is a thread about nearly the same issue that I commented in earlier, but what I remember is that the measure tool didn't do the job then and I had to use the drawing tab work around which was not convenient at all and I had to go back and forth about seven times to adjust the distance, to be honest I used it now after your answer and it did the job in this case but I really don't remember what was the case then, maybe when I get used to the tool I will have no problem, I prefer having a measuring tool like the one in the document tab, if I face further measuring problems I will try to add it to this thread.
  • Options
    shaddy_eldesoukyshaddy_eldesouky Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2016

this is a case that I need to check the distance between the highlighted edge (or the centre) of the circle and the straight line from other part on this 2d plane and the Min dist: 3.955cm is probably in 3d because it should be around 1cm

so I went 3d and tried to choose the edge of the cylinder which is on the same plane I want so I can get the Min Dist I want but I couldn't and the whole cylinder was selected, I guess the result now is what I want but I'm not certain, and I need information that I can rely on.

I recommend: 1- colouring the measures with the same colour of the part( instead of typing length or area of name of part and instead of leaving length or area undefined)  2- clarifying in the help page  https://cad.onshape.com/help/index.htm#measure-ps.htm?Highlight=measure that the measuring of parts is in 3d so you should make your selections in 3d and not in 2d plane to avoid misleading info.

3.jpg 42.5K
    2.jpg 50.6K