Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Semi-spherical container

thomas_kozakthomas_kozak Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Community Support
The goal is to design a container (partial sphere) of given volume which is attached to a plane via a port of a given radius.  Ideally these would be parametric. I believe this can be done via variables but constructing the expression is giving me problems.

The sketch would be a circle split by a chord of constrained length (2*radius of the port).  The radius of the large circle should be definable by the length of the chord and the known area of the resulting circular cap.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Actually the math is quite horrendous as you have to solve a depressed cubic equation. Needs someone far more clever than me!
  • Options
    Thanks in any case for the input!  For the time being I'm giving up on formulating it directly since that math is over my head too.  Fortunately I think I can write some javascript to brute-force approximate the radius of the sphere which will be a good patch until I can figure out the right expression.
  • Options
    Actually you could write it fairly easily in FeatureScript, doing an iteration until the volume is within a certain tolerance. 
  • Options
    That's a nice bit of featurescript, thanks!  Pretty much how I was doing it in JS, but directly in onshape.  I'd still like to be able to get the exact value via an equation but I guess I'll have to hit up some math folks.  This will work for now.