Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape insists my browser(s) don't have WebGL

hansrudolfhansrudolf Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
Hi Onshape gurus,
I would very much try out this CAD system, and was happy to get my logon permission very fast.
However, nothing works...
I have Opera, Firefox and Chrome. From the first two I definitely know WebGL is enabled, but on all 3 Onshape reacts with 'Your browser has no WebGL'. I can't even have a look at the tutorials...
The graphics card 'blacklist didn't help either; I use a Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS.

So much for the moment, sorry I didn't find a 'Problems' thread - seems nobody else has problems?

Kind regards, Hansrudolf

Best Answer

Answers

• rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    Hi Hansrudolf,

On all three browsers, can you check https://get.webgl.org/ and see if you see a rotating cube?
  • ChristianChristian Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with NVidia GeForce 8600M GS. An error message says that there are problems with WebGL. The test ( https://get.webgl.org/ ) runs without problems
  • hansrudolfhansrudolf Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Many thanks for your answers. No, I cannot see a cube on webgl.org, and yes, I use XP (although I see that quite some other problems are coming in with this OS. So I use now a laptop with Win 8.1, and there all is ok.
    But I think it would be nice if Onshape would give a warning somewhere --- how can one know that Webgl is disabled in the OS when the browsers know it?
    Kind regards,
    Hansrudolf
  • FredFred Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue on a windows 8.1 laptop with Intel HD graphics controller. I'm using Chrome. I can see the "spinning box" test, no problem, but I still get the "Rats! webGL hit a snag" error.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @Fred How does http://www.fishgl.com/ work for you? Are you running Chrome from desktop or windows app?

I have used same setup (w8.1&Intel HD&Chrome desktop) succesfully (slow but working).

//rami
  • jim_geib6365jim_geib6365 Member Posts: 1
    I had this happen to me last night. I have been using OnShape  on Chrome for two or three weeks, last night "no WebGL". I ended up updating to Version 41.0.2272.118 m and all is OK now. I think I may have changed something in Chrome, but I don't know what. 

Jim Geib
  • EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    Chrome recently switched to using a DirectX 11 layer for WebGL on Windows platforms.  This has caused issues on some systems with Intel GPUs.  For most of these cases, updating to the latest drivers resolved the issue.  

@Fred - you might check with your computer manufacturer's website to see if they have updated drivers for your Intel HD GPU.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Evan said:
    Chrome recently switched to using a DirectX 11 layer for WebGL on Windows platforms.  This has caused issues on some systems with Intel GPUs.  For most of these cases, updating to the latest drivers resolved the issue.  

@Fred - you might check with your computer manufacturer's website to see if they have updated drivers for your Intel HD GPU.
    Interesting.  A way for Chrome to bring support for WebGL on older windows machines that wouldn't potentially support it?  Sounds like a clever way around the issue, all while using what they are competing against.  Hah...
  • CaptainBisquickCaptainBisquick OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I am also having this problem in Chrome, but not in Safari. I have been using Onshape for months. I ran all updates on my iMac, and now I'm unable to use Onshape in Chrome. I opened chrome://flags and enabled both of the WebGL options and relaunched the browser, and it still doesn't work.

Everything works fine in Safari. I suspect Apple is to blame, and they probably did it on purpose.

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    @CaptainBisquick,

Can you try going to https://get.webgl.org/ and see what it says?
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • kitak_ahnkitak_ahn Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the same issue on a windows 10 laptop with Intel HD graphics controller.  After trying to follow the comments you guys left, I just open Onshape in MS Edge browser.  It works.   I don't want to spend time to find the solution.   Upgrades are getting more problems...
  • greg_sidelnikovgreg_sidelnikov Member Posts: 1
    I am a WebGL tutorial author. This has been an ongoing problem for some. The problem seems to be mostly resident to Windows 8 and Windows 10. However, there have been cases where it happened on XP, and Windows 7... but not as often.

There are a few solutions that have helped, including enabling WebGL, or disabling and enabling it again. How to do this, incl. a few other ideas is described in this Rats! WebGL hit a snag YouTube tutorial, that goes over various Chrome setting screens. You can force-disable webgl and then re-enable it again just to see what happens.

There is a way to check if your browser version supports WebGL. There have been cases where the browser passed this test, but still had "Rats!" problem on Windows 8.1 (with NVidia GeForce 8600M GS) on some of the other sites. See what this test says: https://get.webgl.org/