Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how do you create an offset surface?

dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
I would like to create a surface that is an offset from another one ( either a face or a surface). 

I have found offsetFace-- but this moves the face, instead of creating a surface.  This seems like something that should be possible, but I can't find it...

thanks as always.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Good tip, thanks! That could work. But how do i go about thickening the face, then extracting the surface, but then removing the thicken so i dont affect the underlying geometry?  
  • Options
    well poop, that doesnt work-- because i guess you cannot call that if you are a 'regular user':

:'( 

Any other ideas?
  • Options
    Unfortunate. this is a pretty major limitation.
  • Options
    Larry_CanipeLarry_Canipe Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Has anyone found a way to just do a surface offset. I have yet to find a way to just have the part surface from the model. 

• Options
  • Options
    tim_waldemertim_waldemer Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    First do a transform on the subject surface using the copy in place rule.  Then temporarily hide your original surface.  Lastly, do a move face on the surface using the offset rule.  This gives you a true offset surface while keeping the original surface.  Hope this helps.
  • Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    John is correct, but just a point of clarification: 

These functions are still marked @internal because we may change their behavior slightly (especially with respect to error handling) in the future. This means that the next time you update the FeatureScript version of custom features created on top of these functions, individual features may behave differently (or fail) when they update their links.

The functions are useful enough that they were worth exposing anyway, but be aware that changes are a possibility. Here's a doc where you can play around with some of the current behaviors:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/dcbffeaede71bbfd8d37fc83/w/3ba91b4bc06d0a60cc11d2a5/e/9e9ed0e174274eeac7d26ac7

• Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 55 PRO
    FYI I seem to be using the function succesfully now so if anyone is trying it out just copy and paste the format from the std library source for Offset Surface
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
    Offset surface has been available as a standard feature for a while.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/offset_surface.htm

And yes, it’s also available for use in FeatureScript.