Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Involute of a circle...

andy_morris900andy_morris900 Member Posts: 8
Hi Peeps,

I shouldn't even be discussing this, seeing as I'm a piping designer by trade and, by rights, I shouldn't even be using a parametric design tool.

Anyway, here I am, getting in far too deep...

I have somehow found myself getting into gear design. At first I was just messing around with a single sketch that contained two simple parts, one inside another. I created parameters which allowed me to change certain sizes on the fly and the outer part also changed so that a clearance was always maintained between the two.

Believe me, and I know you will laugh at this, but I find this fascinating...

Then I came up with the bright idea of, what if I made a very simply two gear train that had a gear box around it that changed size to suit the current gear design.

I could have just messed with extruded circles but I went off and googled "gear design" and a whole new world opened up to me.

Pitch Circe, Base Circle, Module, Addendum, Dedendum... All new terms to me and my brain has been fit to explode!

Eventually I decided to see if I could create an approximation of the involute shape in Onshape. At this point, after a bit of research, I realised how "Trig Lazy" I have become over the years. I started as a designer on the board and trig was essential. But once I got onto CAD (AutoCAD) I found that I no longer had to bother with trig at all. Ever.

Without looking into what other peeps have done with respect to this topic, I had decided that I could use points in Onshape and constrain them with dimensions. Those dimensions were calculated using trig formulae and gave me x and y locations of points on an involute curve. I then drew a spline from one point to another and, as best I can tell, the shape looks okay.

One bad thing I have noticed, as I changed the Pitch Circle parameter, quite drastically, the spline looked a bit weird and I need to have a think about that. Might be something to do with me not knowing how I should fully constrain the spline. It stays blue no matter what I try.

I should post some pictures I suppose, but it's a bit late here in the UK now and I should be hitting the sack.

I could post some of the lines of formula that I came up with to work out the required points, but it would take me some time to explain all the variables. It's not rocket science anyway... Just a lot of cos this and sin that haha.

From the point of view of my model, I've only got the involute curve sorted at the moment and the next thing I have to think about is the important stuff like number/size/shape of the teeth...

I'll end on saying, it sure is fun, but I'm wondering when I am going to get bored and go back to playing DOOM!!!

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
    Hi @andy_morris900 it's late here in the UK too! Clearly you've enjoyed playing with involute maths and splines in sketch, but you could have saved yourself a lot of time and just used my FeatureScript Spur Gear tool at onshape.com/FeatureScript ;)

You can also see the code which was a lot of cos and sin!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • andy_morris900andy_morris900 Member Posts: 8
    LOL!

Thanks Neil,

I've grabbed that, so thanks for pointing it out. Can't say I understand what I am seeing but it works, of course... I just need to learn more about Onshape.

Kind of took the wind out of my sails but it means I can get on with other things.

I might still see how far I get with doing it the hard way haha!

I've copied it to my workspace so I can examine what is going on. So much to learn, and for what, I'm not sure.. I doubt very much if I will be able to switch to a purely mechanical discipline after thirty odd years as a "piper..."