Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Please confirm: There is no way to create a surface other than opLoft?

dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
I know I can create a surface using opLoft.

I also know I _should_ be able to create a surface using opPattern, but it doesnt work when the face is complex

But other than these, there is no way to create a surface programmatically.. Right?

There really needs to be. It is _so_ limiting not to be able to create surfaces.

Answers

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    opExtrude, opRevolve, and opSweep also create surfaces when given edges.  What there is currently no easy way to do that I know of is to turn an existing face (or sketch or connected set of faces) into a surface; stay tuned.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    yes opExtractSurface is coming-- that will be nice when it comes. 
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @dave_cowden There are rudimentary ways to reconstruct doing a surface extrude and trimming it with a face split and delete but yes... there will be more elegant methods coming. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.