Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dogbone and Corner Overcut Features for CNC router design

jonathon_duerigjonathon_duerig Member, Developers Posts: 6 PRO
A lot of my parts need to be cut out on a CNC router where the spinning bits cannot cut sharp internal corners. And it is annoying to have to add the corner overcuts and dogbones for tabs and slots to my part models by hand. So I added a couple of custom features.

To use them, you can view or clone my public document here:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/51695bc13e3d9fb286023c70/w/f1e387898ad3a323b9fd9a6b/e/3a9512753b299d5fefc39f46

You can click the custom feature button and from there import either feature from the above document. The document also contains a part with example usage for both features.

Using corner overcut:

- Click the overcut feature.
- Choose the diameter of the dogbone circle and the depth to cut out.
- Select up to 50 vertices on the same face.
- Select the face.

After you click ok, all vertices will be overcut. A cylindrical cutout using the parameters you gave will be cut out of the model at the corners.

Using dogbone:

- Click the dogbone feature.
- Choose the diameter of the dogbone circle and the depth to cut out.
- Select up to 50 vertices on the same face.
- Select up to 50 edges on the same face. Each edge should be adjacent to at least one of the vertices selected.
- Select the face.

After you click ok, all edges will have a dogbone cut out next to the selected vertex. For example, if you have a square slot and you want to cut out all dogbones of it with a single feature, you select the four corner vertices and the two lines you want the dogbones to be cut out of. Four cylinders will then be cut out of the slot.

This will make it much quicker to design things for CNC in future. And it will also make it easy to do lasercut vs. CNC variants of a similar design.

-D

Comments