Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Skew Gear

Hi everyone, I need to design a skew gear, I have seen a few tutorials and now I can draw the sketch and extrude a simple gear, the problem is I don't know how to generate the skewness as pictured below. Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    thomas_kozakthomas_kozak Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    The last time I worked on something like this the general advice I got was to start with a cylinder and add a helix to the surface with the right pitch for the amount of rotation you need.  Then create a sketch/plane normal to the helix and extrude your tooth along it, merging with the original cylinder..  Then circular pattern the cylinder for the right number of teeth.

If there's a way to do an extrude/sweep with a precise rotation I would love to know about it (for instance to sweep a gear through a circle with rotation)
  • Options
    henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    edited July 2016
    Can you loft a surface between the 2 gear shapes with one slightly rotated? And then just match the points so it twists. I have done this to make a twisted vase, so this is just a twisted vase in the shape of a gear.
  • Options
    thomas_kozakthomas_kozak Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    @henry_feldman that works in theory but in practice I've never gotten complex lofts to work right.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    A believe a loft with some guides is what you're after.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    I have done this - I will post the solution later
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Here it is - it is not perfect but close. If you want to replicate this you will need to add the FeatureScript Spur Gear example to your toolbar (press the add custom features button (+ symbol top right))

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/577bb4d1e4b022df1ab63b35/w/8b759e54235a73b8a4a7068e/e/7389dfbbdb7fcdbe7a9cf4fb
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI