Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Possible to use (insert) an assembly in a part studio which you can then model new parts around?

vince_magnocavallovince_magnocavallo Member Posts: 1
I have developed a model of a SSD chip housing, a SSD chip and now need to model an adapter to suit. I want to use the assembly of the housing and chip to be able to model my adapter against. Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    3D3D OS Professional Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Explore using the "Derived" feature: https://cad.onshape.com/help/#derived.htm?Highlight=derived
  • Options
    eyaleyal Member Posts: 2
    I have this problem, too.  The derived feature is not a good solution because the assembly is created from many parts and using derived, I would have to reassembly them again in the part studio.

Is there a way to convert an assembly into a part?
  • Options
    eyaleyal Member Posts: 2
    I found a solution elsewhere on the forums.

1. Create your assembly to look as you want it.
    2. Right click on assembly's tab at the bottom of the screen (maybe it's called Assembly 1).
    3. Select "Export..."
    4. Export it as a Parasolid and download the file.
    5. Click the + symbol in the bottom left corner and select "Import..."
    6. Pick the file that you just downloaded from your computer.
    7. Choose to "flatten" the object in the next screen.

This will create a new part assembly with all your parts in it.

It's a hack and hopefully Onshape will provide a better solution at some point!
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @eyal
    The feature you would actually need is edit/add parts in context = inside assembly. This is highly requested feature and will probably be implemented as soon as possible.

You found the best workaround currently available.
    //rami
  • Options
    ziad_jkhanziad_jkhan Member Posts: 5
    3dcad said:
    @eyal
    The feature you would actually need is edit/add parts in context = inside assembly. This is highly requested feature and will probably be implemented as soon as possible.

You found the best workaround currently available.

It's been like five years now so I'm wondering if it has been implemented and, if so, where?
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    If I understand your question, then yes, there are options to create or edit a part from within an assembly. To create a part, click on the icon in the toolbar that is the same image that is on a Part Studio tab. This is Create Part Studio in context. To edit a part within an assembly, right click on the part you want to edit and from the menu choose 'Edit in context'. - Scotty