Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to edit or delete a "version"?

When I was introduced to the "version" system, I assumed it would behave somewhat like the SolidWorks Configuration system - as in one could have an assortment of versions that belong in different assemblies.  This would also explain why a version of a document is required to insert a part into an assembly.  However, the version system instead acts as a cumbersome "snap-shot" system.  Any time something isn't working quite right in an assembly, the user has to go back to the main version, make the correction, and make an entirely NEW version.  This ends up creating piles of versions within a given part.  One can't simply go into one configuration for one assembly and make a small edit.  It seems impossible to edit the versions you already have or even delete the endless supply of unneeded versions...  It would be ideal if an user could name the version to correlate with a given assembly and then edit that version as necessary.  But even if one could delete a version with a mistake in it and replace it with the correct version, the process would be smoother.  Am I missing a way to make this more simple?

Best Answer

Answers