Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mate is not consistent

donald_wrightdonald_wright Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Community Support
For some reason and out of my understanding, in one of my last "Mating" attempt, I have the error "Mate is not consistent".

I did a similar design and had no probleme.

I have made a simple design of the description below and works OK and it is public_ Its call MATE EXERCISES.

Splined shaft that can rotate (revolve) in 2 end-plates, splined bushing slidind on the splined shaft, bearing mounted to the splined bushing, a handle the is mated to the outer rim of the bearing. The purpose is to linearly move the splined bushing while being able to rotate when the shaft is rotated.

The problem is my private document that I cannot share. I keep getting this error describe in "Question". It's the same basic design however, more parts with details. But the majority of the important parts are the same.

The mating are as follow:
In main axis, I have a splined shaft that "revolve mate" on two bearings, and the bearing are "fastened mate" to the endplates - this works fine
Then I "slide mate" a splined bushing to the splined shaft with limits. This works fine, the bushing slides and also revolves when shaft is rotated. works fine
Then I have a major bearing that I "group mate" the inner ring whit the balls and named it "bearing inner rim". Works fine
Then the "revolve mate" the inner ring group and to the major bearing outer rim - works fine
Then I "slide mate" the handle part to a rod part - Works fine. This rod part was first "fastened mate" to the endplates.
Then I "fastened mate" a bearing cup shape part to the handle - Works fine
Then I "fastened mate" the major bearing outer rim to the cup shape part. - Works fine, the bearing inner rim rotates is also also slides when the handle is move.
The error is after this:
Then I "fastened mate" the bearing inner rim group to the splined bushing. For some reason it work fine woth my smaller design but those not work in my private document.

Any hints someone!

Best Answer

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Answer ✓
    Difficult to tell from the description (can't find the public doc, pasting the URL is better). I would start with trying to remove the fastened mates and replace them with groups if possible, then go from there.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Difficult to tell from the description (can't find the public doc, pasting the URL is better). I would start with trying to remove the fastened mates and replace them with groups if possible, then go from there.
  • Options
    Hi Mr. Cook,

please find the link: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b7306ed4e9ef174cc5fcc997/w/5c5d3dce41530b558fb4ff4f/e/bbb94266a62b1ea1a7a6d317

This is a working assembly. As written, the other one that I'm trying to get it working has a similar design with more parts involve and it's not open to public so I cannot share. However, it would be easier share. I have started a new assembly from scratch that exclude the parts that cannot be shared. Is there a way to only share parts of the document if it's in private mode design but not all with onshape? In this case, I would like to give access only to this new assembly that have started.

I will follow your advise and try it. Stay tune.
  • Options
    Mr. Cook, I I have tried to group the parts instead of fastening them and it gave no result. So how can I share with you or the public only one tab of my private document? I will like to solve this little problem.
    Thank you

• Options
    Mr. Cook, here is the link. It is available to you and support team.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5148d95b11da9646eeb3d067/w/e17c2c8742871e6dea4b0a99/e/50e661ef023db7d29b25dcad

Regards,
    Donald
  • Options
    Hi @donald_wright - I have fixed your assembly, please see the comments. Any more questions just let me know - you can unshare me now.

• Options
    Mr. Cook,
    the handle can be slide as per the shaft with the bearing adapter, the splined bushing and the major bearing inner rim, however, the shaft, the shaft's bearings, the bearing adapter, the splined bushing and the major bearing inner rim cannot rotate and they most rotate about the axis of the shaft.

• Options

Mr. Cook,

thanks for your help. I did try to reduce the amount of mates and use the group. However, even with all this, I still cannot have the shaft to rotate with the components "slider mate" to it. At least, the handle can slide. As written above, I did manage to perform this task with a simplified design (https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b7306ed4e9ef174cc5fcc997/w/5c5d3dce41530b558fb4ff4f/e/bbb94266a62b1ea1a7a6d317) and work as expected but I did have my share of problems that morning I worked on it. So why can't I be able to rotate the shaft and splined bushings, and have these splined bushings also move axially to the shaft with the handle?

• Options
    Thank you to Neil! Special thanks for his help. He did more than I asked. :)