Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

moving and placing derived objects in part studio

rob_vorkrob_vork Member Posts: 3
how do I unlock and move a derived object inside a part studio?

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    A derived feature will appear in the exact location it was modelled in so you must use transform to move it. If you transform by mate connector you have more control. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
    edited August 2016
    Wow, that is a HUGE impediment to moving from solidworks to onshape if you've not always designed top-down. I hope I'm wrong, but it as though when I import a complex assembly and the OS assembly looks great and the part studio looks like a random bucket of parts, I have to reassemble  everything in it before I can recommence working on and adding to it top down?
    Part studio is great for top down designing, but there must be a way to get the old sw assemblies in there as assemblies.
    Surely, as one tab in os knows where the parts should be, a transform routine could be invoked to move the part studio bits to the same position? Even as a once only option.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @rob_vork, The easiest way at present is to derive it, and use "Transform" to move it by known distances or possibly a "transform by mate connector"  to move it to a defined location.

Transform

transform in toolbar

Transform adjusts a part's location and orientation in 3D space with the option to copy the part in place.

OpenSteps
    1. Click transform icon.

2. Select the method of moving the part (transform type):
      • Translate by line - Select an entity such as a part edge
      • Translate by distance - Specify a value and select an entity to indicate direction
      • Translate by XYZ - Specify axis values to move along or optionally, use the drag manipulator that appears to position the part along axis
      • Transform by mate connectors - Specify two mate connectors by which to reorient the placement of the part.
      • Rotate - Move the part about an axis specified by selecting an entity
      • Copy in place - Make a copy of the part at the same location; this creates a separate and independent part enabling you to:

- Make changes to one part and use both to create different bodies during a later operation.

- Make a copy of a part prior to a series of operations enabling you to reference the original state for ancillary operations.

- Create multiple copies of a part in order to create multiple variants.

If you need to create multiple copies of a part at once, use the Pattern feature with a distance of 0 (zero).

• Scale uniformly - Scale a part by a specific factor and select a point to scale about; optionally copy the part
    3. Click green checkmark.
    OpenTransform by mate connectors

Before transform by mate connectors

After transform by mate connectors

OpenRotate

Before rotate

transform before

transform about entity-mid

After rotate

OpenCopy in place

Before copy in place

transform before

transform copyinplace

After copy in place

OpenScale uniformly

Before scale uniformly

After scale uniformly

Kindly refer below video for more detail about transform by mate connector

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @bill_rayner , When importing a CAD file, you have the following processing options:
    • Imported models are in 'Y Axis Up' coordinates - If the file was created in a system that orients with Y Axis Up, the models would by default be brought into Onshape (a Z axis up system) with a flipped coordinate system. Check this box to reorient the axis system to match Onshape and display the model with the coordinates you expect.
    • Import file to Part Studios only (flatten) - If the file is an assembly, or contains an assembly, you have the option to import it as only a Part Studio, by selecting the Flatten option. In this case, the assembly is flattened to a set of parts in a Part Studio. There will be duplicate parts created whenever a part is instanced more than once.

flatten imported assemblies option

The automatic processing happens only for files that Onshape can translate. All other files are simply imported into a tab.

Note:- Check first box only (Second box must be uncheck) if you wanted all assembly part in one part studio.
  • bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
    I'm afraid none of that helps: I still have to transform dozens or hundreds of parts in the part studio that imported with their with their origins coincident, that had previously been arranged in a SW assembly.

The annoying thing is that the parts are perfectly assembled in the OS assembly, but effectively locked in a glass case, unable to be directly worked on. So, as all the data required to move the part studio parts to the same positions as in the assembly actually exists in the onshape file, why isn't there a "Replicate Assembly Part Positions" command in part studio.

I would guess that most people paying their Onshape subscription now, and a long way into the future, will have legacy assemblies they want to import. And I suspect Onshape's import system is the only CAD system that destroys assemblies during import. Clearly the RAPP command should be a top priority.