Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Any plan for basic surfacing ?

walter_steffewalter_steffe Member Posts: 3
I would like to know if there is any plan to introduce the following basic surface features.

For my application it would be nice to have a different sort of move face feature which, instead of stretching the solid object, it simply
creates a copy of the selected face. This is the way Catia offset works.
In the Onshape environment probably it would make sense to have an option to switch between stretch and copy.

An other feature that I would appreciate a is a "sketch fill" which generates a planar face bounded by a closed contour.
Also this feature can be found in many other CADs like Catia, Solidworks, Pro E ....

To finish my requests I would also like to be able to export all solids and surfaces into a step file preserving the related names.

This is because I would like to use Onshape in order to prepare electromagnetic problems for the EmCAD modeler I am developing (see http://hierarchical-electromagnetics.com) .
After having imported the step file into the EmCAD modeler there is the need to associate electromagnetic properties with all imported geometrical entities. This association is actually done using the names previously assigned to such entities.

Thanks for your kindly attention

Walter Steffè

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,421
    Hi @walter_steffe the short answer is yes, but we cannot commit to a timeframe. Since you are developing an app that could potentially work with Onshape please contact @joe_dunne
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI