Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

To Merge Extrude or not to Merge

3D3D OS Professional Posts: 52 ✭✭
Would other users find it useful if "Extrude" type functions were merged?

This would give you the option / advantage of toggling between a related but different feature functions without having to suppress / delete and add the other feature as necessary. 

For example if you chose "Extrude with draft" then at  a later stage decided that  a "Loft" would better suit your design intent, it's just a matter of changing the function within the feature rather than redoing a number of steps.

Also, you might decide to "Extrude remove" a hole and later consider the "Hole" function to offer better functionality for your design intent - or vice versa - the change would then be simpler than the string of changes - particularly as patterns work differently with each feature.

It would also clear room for more space on the UI and the icons could still change to the actual function being used.

This might simplify the use / availability of shortcuts too.

Answers

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This doesn't really strike me as being particularly useful. The only real benefit would be if part body references could be maintained between feature types, but I don't believe that would be the case. Behind the scenes the feature would be performing an opExtrude or opLoft which would generate separate bodies. In my opinion, the current level of feature integration (new/add/remove/surface) is about as much integration as is necessary.