Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

UI improvements - In-context toolbars and the "S"-key Shortcut Menu

alin_1alin_1 Member Posts: 8
Just curious if you are working on further minimizing the mouse travel and number of clicks needed for getting things done. I am thinking of the SW tools like in-context toolbars popping up on selecting entities and at the "S"-key shortcut toolbar.

Comments

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Ticket 2197
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I am a fan of the "s" in solidworks, it has sort become ingrained into my workflow. Something like this would be welcome for me in Onshape. 

However ATM I have taken to using the quick keys, once you have them sorted it can really speed things up, maybe even more than fly out toolbars. some of my favourites are (n) normal, (shift e) extrude, and most of the constraints can be done with quick keys as well. I find now when I go back to SW I try to use these quick keys automatically there.

Bruce
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    At some point in Onshape there won't be enough shortcut keys to cover all the functionality.  An 'S' key would be nice...
  • Options
    It is also about keeping your eyes on the model, instead of hunting for keys. And if you have a 3D Mouse, you can assign one of the buttons to the "S"-key.
  • Options
    Thanks for the ticket number, Pete.
  • Options
    I would create one yourself, too @Alin Onshape will gauge the importance of the issue by how many folks are requesting it.
  • Options
    david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    @Pete Yodis  Is there a way to look at the tickets others have submitted. I know I can look at mine.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • Options
    @David_Sohlstrom12345 There is no way, not to say there won't be. Onshape really wants you to use the product and put in your own tickets. This will help them discern priority of items to be added based on the community requests.
  • Options
    david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good thanks

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA