Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I round the corners of filleted edges?

CodyHCodyH Member Posts: 22
edited August 2016 in Community Support
All of the edges are filleted and now I need to make the point where they converge to be rounded. As it is now they would still form a point. Do I need to perform a particular function to those corners first before filleting? 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9e41c46edd409bb84c25d248/w/5db5c75c5040a710d9f84a53/e/518d9a624cf1d17f0edd5e3c

Answers

• CodyHCodyH Member Posts: 22
    I was able to get one corner rounded (top center in this image) by adding a fillet to the existing fillet edge. However, that doesn't work for all corners so I'm assuming there must be another method for accomplishing this.
  • michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    By applying fillet to all edges at same time:

That works for the one corner, but I don't see how that applies the type of rounding to the other corners. Also, I'm having a problem applying a fillet to all edges by using that method. I had to select the face of the sketches. Otherwise, when I'm selecting each edge eventually I get to one where it takes away all of the fillets. My knowledge of onshape, and CAD in general, is still very limited so I couldn't begin to guess why this is happening. 
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Be sure tangent propagation is checked
    It is indeed checked. Maybe I just built it wrong? Some edges will fillet and some won't. I must have done something wrong. 
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    CodyH said:
    It is indeed checked. Maybe I just built it wrong? Some edges will fillet and some won't. I must have done something wrong. 
    I think so please share a link.
  • michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ CodyH, I can get the rounded fillet for your cases.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Hide your sketches first. It sounds like you are selecting the sketch edge rather than the model edge. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Neil, I did actually hide the sketches but was still having issues. I'm just gonna start from scratch and build it like michal demonstrated. Thanks for the input

Narayan, I'm able to get that particular corner to fillet but not all of the others. I'll start over from scratch

michal, you just made my design process look incredibly tedious and unnecessary! haha. I was pretty certain it was a very inefficient design, but I was in a hurry and didn't have much time to learn. I'm gonna start over from scratch using your process. Thank you! Very appreciative!
    edited July 2016
    michal,

I copied what you did but was wondering the proper method for fixing the issue where you get spaces at the corners because of the fillet. This occurs when the fillet radius surpasses a certain amount. In this case, essentially anything over .15 in causes a visible space. I was hoping for something like .4 in. I can't think of a way to remedy this by using this design process. Any advice? 

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spaces are just a geometric consequence of having a wall thickness that is less than your radius. Either increase your wall thickness or decrease your radius.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    If I understand what you're after I believe this will yield it:-

(1) Create Cuboid
    (2) Fillet edges
    (3) Shell Cuboid
    (4) Extrude remove.the unwanted part.

Might need to split the par depending on what you want filleted on the top.

Regards,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    mahir, That's an obvious consequence that I completely overlooked. I finally noticed it when I went back to rework the design. Thanks!

owen, I'm working on the steps you provided. Just having trouble with step 4 since it doesn't want to agree with certain sketches. I'll keep at it.

Thanks for all the help everyone!