Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Having trouble completing this loft...

william_cheltonwilliam_chelton Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
It's the last one in red on the features list (Loft 8) on the first tab. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2b44aab91ac41d6cd4b6b5d1/w/3a0372585e6b5f19c9345ef8/e/aa1f1b4849ccbd0ecb1abe75

I'm trying to loft it like in this file (Loft 1 on the first tab):
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c1aa5bba6a0139ebb12ce0bd/w/7dbd79899d296fb290aca0f0/e/221fb58cf7a7524ff4d663aa

Any help would be appreciated. I recognize the rest of the file is a complete clusterf*** but this is a learning project as well.

Answers

• Options
    chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    The main issue seems to be between sketches 41 and 42 creating a self-intersecting body.    That whole loft you're making is complex and I didn't find any ways yet to make it work, and I have to get back to work myself. 

One detail I noticed:  The sketch 45 guide doesn't intersect all 3 profiles.

• Options
    chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    After messing with that loft for a bit, I'm thinking you'll need to go a different direction with your profiles.   By that I mean: maybe the shape of the flat back of that guitar would be profile 1.  profile 2 would be on a plane which is offset from the first one maybe 1/4" and would be a smaller version of that shape.  Profile 3 could be a small oval, on a plane that's 1/2" offset from the back of that guitar.

The way your current profiles are oriented is causing intersecting body issues with those 2 lobes that bulge out next to the neck junction, and I can't see a way to eliminate that.  If anyone else knows a way though I'd love to hear it!
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited July 2016
    william_chelton I like the back of the violin body, nicely done.

The right answer to your questions isn't favorable, but here it is, this is a surfacing problem. All your attempts are going to feel kludgy at this time because you're curving up a solid block.

Here's an approach to your problem that I use to sculpt a solid body:

Cut with surface (seems like this should have thru all option):

There's always ways. Surfacing in solids can be more challenging and requires more creativity:

Me, I'm not a fillet monster and rarely use them. Also, I don't like the center edge created by the sweep surface used by thicken cut. Seems like this should have been blended or merged to create one surface patch. They are tangential (OS please add tangential blending on creation). I don't like edges and tons of surface patches.

I suppose my answer to your question is to think negative, don't add the curvature but take it away.

Good Luck, your stuff is looking good.