Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I add my imported STEP part to an assembly?

I'm designing a play structure and I want to see how it's going to look in relation to my house and yard.  I modeled the house as a set of standard OS parts, but the yard itself is sloped and uneven and doesn't lend itself to OS-style modeling (as far as I know).  I have a 3D surface mesh of my yard generated from some drone images that I've managed to convert to an enormous 8 MB STEP file (there are only 10k faces) which I've successfully(?) imported into Onshape (I can see the 3D mesh in Part Studio and rotate it around and such).  However, when I try to insert it in my assembly, it's not listed among the parts I can insert.

So, how can I add my imported mesh object to my house+structure+yard assembly to see how things are going to look?

Answers

• Options
    ethanethan Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 24
    Is the mesh STEP import parts of surfaces? Look in the bottom right at the parts list. 
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    Unfortunately you can't insert surfaces into an assembly, you can only import them into a Part Studio. Try using FreeCad to make a solid from the surfaces first. (under the 'Start' drop down, switch to the 'Part' option and find the 'Part' menu at the top of the screen for the convert to solid  Doesn't always work though. It would be great to be able to either convert to solid within Onshape or be able to insert the surfaced part.
    (Sorry I can't seem to add a screen grab)
  • Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    edited March 2018
    For those that find this in a search result on this topic...

You can insert parts, surfaces, sketches and sheet metal flat patterns into an assembly. In the insert dialog, you will see several icons to reveal each entity, by default only parts are visible to insert to make sure to check off the entities you want first!

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    I've imported STL and it says it's a mesh, but still it won't let me import to assembly. Is this mesh not a solid?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    No. Meshes are for reference only. The intended workflow is to import a scanned part and to create a model using the mesh as a reference. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I cannot also move an import from one part studio to another?

Also, there's no way to convert a mesh to a set of NURBS surfaces? It should be easy to just plainly convert these triangles to NURBS surfaces; it's a one to one conversion?

https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/meshtonurb

• Options
    edited January 2019
    @famadorian you cannot move an imported part, but you can import the original file into another part studio (and delete it from the one you "moved" it from). For converting mesh to NURBS, please use Rhino. However, converting this mesh to NURBS would result in a very large and slow assembly.

• Options
    NeilCooke said:
    @famadorian you cannot move an imported part, but you can import the original file into another part studio (and delete it from the one you "moved" it from). For converting mesh to NURBS, please use Rhino. However, converting this mesh to NURBS would result in a very large and slow assembly.

Ok, so there's no way to view a mesh inside an assembly!

How can I then view a mesh in relation to several parts?

I have this model as a mesh and it's a thing that goes below a sink. There's no way to view how that looks in relation to the sink, the wall and the cabinets in an assembly?

I have to remodel the whole thing?

• Options
    If you want to use it in an assembly then yes. Onshape is not a mesh modelling software - meshes are for reference only while modelling. If you want to view a mesh in relation to other parts you can use in-context but that would only be good for viewing/reference. 
  • Options
    Not really sure what you mean here with in context.. I can view it "in context" ? 
  • Options
    If the mesh part is in a part studio with some other parts and those parts are in the assembly, then you can edit the other parts in-context which will open the part studio with the mesh part in it and the rest of the assembly ghosted over the top. Not really a solution but doable.