Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Feedback after a couple of days

Have used Alias, I-deas, Pro/E, Solidworks, Rhino, Fusion 3D and now some days with Onshape. Many people can say the same, but this is just to explain that I have 15 yrs of this kind of baggage curbing my enthusiasm.

I don't see this working out very soon, because:

1) Lack of responsiveness. I'm running this on a workstation tethered to broadband. A couple of items in the assembly and its like modelling inside a tar pit. I think this comes down to relying on WebGL. 

2) Lack of features. I have no doubt Onshape will get there but man it has a long way to go. And on the other hand, if it aims to be "Solidworks Lite", its going to be just another niche product.

On the positive side, the UI is very good.

I'm going to join the wait-and-see pool. But I really,really hope for success for Onshape.

Perhaps a properly accelerated local client would change the prognosis? Some features I can live without but lack of responsiveness... I don't know. Its a killer for anyone who does more than an occasional bit of 3D modelling.

Thanks for the obvious and redundant feedback? You're welcome. I'll just slither back under the rock now.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @jonne_valola791 Please use the feedback tool in regards to the performance issue with your graphics card.  We can help you figure that one out. 
  • Options
    jonne_valola791jonne_valola791 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2016
    Hello Pete

I have an apology to make: indeed, there seems to be some sort of funky going on with the workstation graphics card driver. I am now running Onshape from a home computer with a bog standard GeForce and its much better. I'm going to check out the details of the graphics card in the workstation and will put in a note via the feedback tool. EDIT: the workstation in question runs SW and Pro/E with no issues, so I think its got to do with WebGL.
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @jonne_valola791 I would suspect driver issues to be at the root of the issue.  For what it's worth, workstation level graphics cards are overpriced (in my opinion) for the horsepower they deliver.  They are priced high because of the captive market they are in.  Yes, they do some driver optimization for OpenGL CAD platforms.  Onshape with WebGL is much more accommodating and allows for better graphics performance at a lower price.  We hope you appreciate this capability.  

With regards to features you need, I would recommend using the Feedback tool in the product and giving that experience a try - there is really nothing like it in the CAD industry.  Of course you can mention them right here, too.
  • Options
    jonne_valola791jonne_valola791 Member Posts: 3
    Just to cap this thread, the workstation in question is a Dell Precision M4800 with Nvidia Quadro K2100M. I can confirm now that the problem is connected to the GPU driver somehow, as the same model causes no issues on another machine.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    You might also want to check that hardware acceleration is switched on in the browser and your browser (chrome or Firefox preferred) is up to date. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI