Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Defeaturing a complicated model

Hi,

I would like to defeature an assembly for FEM analysis - like remove small faces, some small details like holes etc. Could this be done with Onshape? This feature is available in Solidworks but was not able to find on Onshape. Any ideas or feedback would be helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi, you could use the delete face tool to remove holes, fillets and unwanted widgets form your model.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I have done this before by first exporting my assembly as a para-solid then importing into a part studio doing a boolean to join all touching and intersecting parts together, then going crazy with the delete face, move face and replace face. Move face with a offset and drag arrow is handy, also replace face is vey powerful once you the hang of it.

Sometime and I even do  export and then re-import tho clean up the tree when working on part's/assemblies as it doesn't take long to get a couple hundred features.

When doing this it would be handy to have a tool like in SW to scan for edges under a specified length to find all the small faces, could something like this be made with FS?

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Bruce, for your workflow, what is the advantage of re-importing over using derived?
    It should not be hard to write an FS feature that can find small edges / faces and call opDeleteFace on them (ignoring failures).
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited August 2016
    @ilya_baran ,  reimport is done to purge the tree as it becomes long and complicated and your not really worried about the creation geometry just doing what you need to get the model to mesh.

Yes I think it would be near impossible to create a de feature tool get rid of all the small geometry and I was not expecting to be able to do this in FS I'm just after a way to find the small faces then manually deal with the once found which is more a tool like measure tool than a feature. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977