Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Problem extruding sketch from dxf file

andy_kronquistandy_kronquist Member Posts: 5
edited August 2016 in Community Support
Hello all, I'm trying to extrude a shape from an imported dxf with a few holes in it, and onshape wants to extrude the holes instead. In SolidWorks this usually meant the overall shape had problems, like segments that weren't really constrained. I've tried add all sorts of constraints, but no luck. Question: When I mouse over a constraint icon, what does it mean if a line highlights yellow or orange? I did import a simple square with a hole as a dxf, and the square extruded fine with a hole in it. I'm missing something here.
AEKron

Answers

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    You have probably some open corner.. when you look the shape in sketch, how is the color?

CLOSED shape

OPEN shape

//rami
  • emmett_weeksemmett_weeks Onshape Employees Posts: 29
    When hovering over a constraint, anything that highlights orange is being constrained by that constraint. Anything that highlights yellow owns something that is being constrained by that constraint.

If the end points of two lines are coincident, hovering over the constraint icon will make the end points highlight orange and the lines highlight yellow.

If a stand alone point is constrained to be coincident to a line, hovering over the constraint will highlight the point and the line in orange and nothing in yellow.
  • andy_kronquistandy_kronquist Member Posts: 5
    I don't see an obvious way to reply to comments here..
    3DCAD - I see blue lines in my sketch. I did get it to work by starting over again, and "wiggling" each point away, and then back again letting OnShape make the coincidence relation. Good to go now.
    Emmett_weeks - Thanks for the info, it's going into my library of knowledge. BTW: Are you the emmett of the famous screwless cube?
    AEKron
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @andy_kronquist Sorry for not being specific, I ment color of inner area of your shape..

Blue lines tell that they are not constrained to anything that keeps them in place ie. they are not fully constrained. Black lines are.

But if some shape has grey color in whole area that means it's closed, if it's white it means there is a leak in some corner and area won't extrude as it's open. The leak can be so small that you need to zoom heavily to find it.
    //rami