Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Import procedures

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
Just wrote an improvement request and thought I would share it with you people..

---

Most of cad files I wan't to import are received by email or by some file share system. Neither of these channels are visible from import dialog so I need to first create local copy (and memorize this temp folder) and delete after import not to mess up with possible future versions.

Most of text / image / spreadsheet data I need to import comes in through clipboard (source web, emails). Same temp file story with these.

Request 1.
Support drag and drop import directly from email + file share viewers + local file system.

Request 2.
Support paste text / image / spreadsheet into tab directly from clipboard.

---

If you feel the same need, use feedback to join the request. (ticket: #38279)

//rami

Comments

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    3dcad said:

If you feel the same need, use feedback to join the request. (ticket: #38279)

Sory to be dense, but how I can join the request with that ticket number?  I don't see any place to search for it.
  • Options
    If you use feedback and mention ticket number I'm pretty sure they'll find it. I didn't wan't to add another ticket of same issue into voting area.. 
    //rami
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, I tried that but suspected that just adding that ticket number to a feedback on a random document would have been confusing to the feedback receivers.  I searched for your user name and that ticket number in the IR page but came up blank on both.  It would be nice if improvement requests could be assigned ID numbers to make it easier to find them.
  • Options
    @michael3424
    I think the problem making them public is that same system is used for 'private' feedback which should remain between Onshape and customer..

I have put in tickets like, please add me to ???'s request about somestuff and had reply that it's been done. That's why I added the ticket number, to make it easier on the other end.
    //rami
  • Options
    Does anyone else have any ideas how to make import awesome?
    //rami
  • Options
    lni64lni64 OS Professional Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Yes. Would be great to be able to import directly into a part studio. Currently I have to use a single tab for each and every bearing, screw, nut etc.and then deriving from those tabs into the part studio where I need it. In addition to the unnecessarily timeconsuming workflow it clutters my documenents with pointless tabs.

I'd love to have an extended "Derive" where you could choose from "Current Workspace", "Browse Documents" and additionally "Import from File"

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Currently I have to use a single tab for each and every bearing, screw, nut etc.and then deriving from those tabs into the part studio where I need it. In addition to the unnecessarily timeconsuming workflow it clutters my documenents with pointless tabs.

Personally I use one document to hold all my common components.  Then  use a fresh document for the project and derive the parts from the common file directly into the Part studio I'm working on.  The project doc stays clean and tidy. The derive function doesn't care how many tabs there are in the common file and just presents a nice list to pick from.  Add in (hopefully) derived via tag and we're away.

I agree it'd be nice to import into current PS.
    Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    lni64lni64 OS Professional Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Good idea, definitely better than importing everything into the working document. The only problem I see is that one has to be very diciplined in not changing the common file since such changes might break existing documents using parts from the common file.
  • Options
    mlml Member Posts: 53 PRO
    Request 2.
    Support paste text / image / spreadsheet into tab directly from clipboard.
    exactly what I need also. mentioned here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/19016/#Comment_19016

ended in an improvement request: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4112/text-based-notes-tab-in-document#latest
    perhaps you could give them an additional vote....

• Options
    @ml Just added +1 for your suggestion.

@lutz_niggl and owen, Instead of creating new tab for each file import, I would like to see 'imports' tab which would be like file explorer with all imported files on one tab. I know this messes up with current tab RMB functions but those functions could be transformed into RMB filename/icon menu.
    I would still create separate doc for common parts but sometimes project has a lot of imports that should live in same doc.
    //rami
  • Options
    dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    What if you could select a list of dxf files, and then a Featurescript was automatically added into your part studio that has all of the choices, and can dump them into a sketch or directly extrude them? Essentially, an app that allows you to input a list if dxfs and output a FS that looks a lot like the 8020 profile generator?

I think I could do that. I've got some code that can parse dxf, and produces compact, fixed FS code with no tolerance issues into a single feature studio. 

• Options
    I have mostly mixed content: dwg, step, images, spreadsheet etc.. and usually all these are just information for creating models with Onshape.
    //rami
  • Options
    dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    @3dcad ok yeah then its not much help. its only cool when you have a big library of drawings you use frequently.
  • Options
    tyler_popetyler_pope Member, Developers Posts: 21 PRO
    I would actually like to send that email with the attachments to Onshape and review and/or import items to add to the workspace. A line of code in the message body could also help tell Onshape what you would like done when it's received.