Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

[Feature Request] Add base planes (Top, Front, Right) to Assemblies

roryaronsonroryaronson Member Posts: 24 PRO
It is annoying to have my assembly floating/rotating freely in the assembly space. It would be nice if I could mate it to a Top, Front, or Right plane like the ones in Part Studios. This would also allow me to use the base plans for (future) mirroring of Parts for symmetrical assemblies.
Tagged:

Comments

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @roryaronson, You can use Origin to fix your assembly as per your requirement. Kindly refer below video for more detail.

• roryaronsonroryaronson Member Posts: 24 PRO
    Thanks for the tip! This will work for now, though I think having planes would still be useful (at least a little more intuitive)
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    If you modelled one of your initial parts around the planes in the Part Studio, then when you assemble it in, don't drag it around on screen when the Insert dialog is open, just press the green check mark on the dialog and the part will position on the origin in the same location as it was modelled. You can then fix it, and add all your other parts to it.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI