Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I'm looking for an Onshape tutor because I can't even sweep a spline with a circle.

dennisrose40dennisrose40 Member Posts: 1
How can I connect with a tutor?  A newbie to Onshape, I've used 123D Design for six months to make models for 3D printing.  I heard great things about Onshape.  I started by working through the five tutorials but still cannot sweep a circle over a spline.  I can paypal something for tutoring to learn about the conceptual framework of Onshape which looks very powerful but has me stymied.  Dennis Rose dennisrose40@gmail.com. 

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @dennis_rose
    One of great things in Onshape is this forum, just post screenshot or if possible make your document public and post link and I'm 99% sure that you will get help in next hours.
    //rami
  • Options
    About sweep, remember that shape needs to be at start or endpoint of path, otherwise it creates error.
    //rami
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @dennis_rose, Please refer below video and detail which will be helpful to create sweep in Onshape.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#sweep_video.htm?Highlight=Sweep

Sweep

Sweep on feature toolbar

Sweep uses a selected region, curves, or planar face moving along a path to define a shape (either solid or surface body). Create a new part or modify an existing one by adding or removing material, or intersecting bodies in its path.

OpenSteps
    1. Click sweep icon.

2. Select Creation type:
      • Solid - Create parts or modify existing parts by sweeping a sketch region along a path.
      • Surface - Create a surface by sweeping a sketch curve along a path.
    3. If you select to create a solid, also choose:
      • New - Create a new solid
      • Add - Add to an existing solid
      • Remove - Subtract from an existing solid
      • Intersect - Keep the intersection of two (or more) solids
    4. Select the face or edge to sweep.
    5. Click to make the Sweep path field active. Select a line segment or curve on the sketch or an edge on the part.
    6. Click green checkmark .
    OpenSweep new material (New, Add)

When adding material, you have the option to merge that material with other parts that touch or intersect its geometry:

• If the geometry touches or intersects with only one part then that part is automatically added to the merge scope.
    • If multiple parts touch or intersect the geometry, then there is ambiguity and you must select which parts to merge with (the merge scope).
    • A shortcut to selecting multiple touching or intersecting parts, you can check Merge with all to add all touching or intersecting parts to the merge scope.

If the Boolean is set to Add, Remove, or Intersect and nothing is set in the merge scope, the feature will error. For New, no merge scope is available since New does not boolean the result.

• Options
    @viru you're awesome! I was actually thinking of your posts with those screen animations when I replied.
    //rami
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    @viru you're awesome! I was actually thinking of your posts with those screen animations when I replied.
    +1
  • Options
    rick_hardmanrick_hardman Member Posts: 1
    How can I connect with a tutor?  A newbie to Onshape, I've used 123D Design for six months to make models for 3D printing.  I heard great things about Onshape.  I started by working through the five tutorials but still cannot sweep a circle over a spline.  I can paypal something for tutoring to learn about the conceptual framework of Onshape which looks very powerful but has me stymied.  Dennis Rose dennisrose40@gmail.com. 
    I'm looking for the same help either within OnShape or with a user.  I'm in the L.A. area and am happy to pay for the service.  As I told Garrett today, your company should provide on site training as it would increase corporate acceptance as well as bring in a whole new group of users.  Your videos don't answer real time questions and then causes confusion and frustration.  If the company isn't willing to provide the service, how about letting some of your proficient users open the door?  rick_hardman@live.com