Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I curve a tube or pipe?

jonas_rullojonas_rullo Member Posts: 2
I've been trying to create a simple cylinder/tube with a smooth bend. I can extrude a tube or a cylinder. I cannot figure out how to bend the cylinder. I watched the sweep video, however the video starts with several objects that I cannot duplicate. I do not see what the relationship is between the thing being swept and the sweeping tool.
I clicked sketch and added a 5mm circle. I then used spline to make a curved line from the center of that circle. I want the spline to be a solid cylinder in the diameter of the circle. I tried doing this by editing one sketch and also creating a circle sketch and a spline sketch. 
Searching for tube or curved tube, or bend pipe or tube finds no examples. 

Any idea how this would be done? 

Comments

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    This is the typical workflow I follow for sweeps.

1) Create a smooth continuous sweep path as either a sketch or intersection of surfaces/solids.
    2) Create a plane that is normal to the path at one of its end points.
    3) Sketch the profile on this normal plane. It's good practice to add a Pierce relation to the sweep path.
    4) Use the Sweep feature to essentially extrude the profile along the path.
    5) Tweak the various options (solid/surface, add/remove, profile orientation) to achieve the desired results.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @jonas_rullo
    Check out this great tutorial for sweep that @viru posted on another thread: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/20877/#Comment_20877

//rami